chapter 4 - 1945

Right after Christmas and the New Year's celebrations, Elvis finally turned ten years old. He had been talking Cece's ear off on how he was gonna have a two digit number as his age. He was delighted though his mama insisted on not showing off for nothing. He did it anyways, when no one was watching.

"Ten is a big number, I ain't no little boy no more.", Elvis explained to Cece, who was pouting at his words. The way he had said it made it sound like he wasn't going to hang out with her anymore. She was very sensitive when it came to the topic of friendships.

Before Elvis said anything else, Gladys interrupted him.

"Booby! Your chocolate milk is on the table."

And that was him saying he ain't no little boy no more.

Cece had a tough time thinking of what to get him for his birthday. He was complicated yet so predictable as well. You could've gifted him a flower or given him a big hug. Elvis would've been happy either way. But there was something they had never done together.

"C'mon, E!", her little nickname for him made him happy. Having learned the letter "E" all those years ago, from Elvis, made her think of what she could've called him. Her name was easy to shorten, but his was a different story. She had to come up with a nickname for him, so far "E" seemed to be the one.

"Alrighty, slow down, girl. I'm sure wherever we're going we won't be late. It's cold and it's winter. And it's my birthday.",  Cece tried to get him to walk faster as her hand pulled his. In vain, the ten year old protested and slowed down. But just like the little girl had predicted, they were late. The year of 1945, especially the beginning, was a dark one. Local newspapers were writing about what seemed the never-ending war in Europe. People's spirits were crushed as the headlines seemed to pop up in every corner. People were confronted with the brutality of reality every single day; even Cece had a vague idea of what was going on. But how to cheer up your loved ones? When the only way would be to solve every single problem in the world. That was impossible for an adult. Alone for a seven year old.

"What are we doin' at church on a Monday, Cece?", he turned to look at her with a raised eyebrow. She looked at him and without saying a word, she quietly opened the door and sneakily pulled him inside. Cece wasn't all too pleased that the choir had already started and cursed Elvis in her head, for moving as slowly as he did. And with cursed was meant an innocent "stupid Elvis".                    

"Where could I go but to the Lord."

They were tiptoeing to the corner of the churches when the people arose from their seats. Since little kids weren't supposed to be there, the two tried to be as discrete as possible.

"Seeking the refuge for my soul."

Blue eyes looked in her brown ones in disbelief. The choir's voice melted together, creating the most beautiful, touching melody Elvis had ever heard. He couldn't believe his ears as goosebumps seemed to cover every inch of his body.

"Needing a friend to save me in the end."

Cece didn't know what to get Elvis for his birthday, but as soon as she heard the choir rehearsing one day as she was walking back home, she knew exactly what to do. The boy loved her guitar and the records they collected together, but there was nothing that touched his soul like gospel. All the days spent in the cold weather to figure out the choir's schedule was worth it. The look in his face was one she wasn't going to forget anytime soon.

"Won't you tell me."

"How'd you find this?", he whispered to her. Cece looked up and smiled a little. "I come from another planet.", she responded, quoting the Little Prince. He shook his head and moved his eyes on the people singing. What he was feeling couldn't be possibly described, making him wonder if he was ever gonna be able to once his vocabulary was big enough. But Elvis made sure to take in every movement, every smile and every tear that was shed by the singers. He couldn't believe how music made someone feel that way. He couldn't believe how music brought all the people together. They were all equal.

"Where could I go but to the Lord."

_____________