chapter 21 - 1954

CECE MARTIN

After twenty minutes we picked up Bill and Scotty, whose excitement matched ours. It was a relief seeing someone be so happy as I was still feeling uneasy on leaving my mama. Elvis and I talked about that before the boys joined the car ride, and it surprised me how alike our thoughts and concerns were.

"It's just— daddy ain't as sensitive as mama, you know?", Elvis tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, trying to conceal his anxiety, although he failed miserably. "When mama is worried, she drinks. When she's stressed, she drinks. I just—", he sighed stressfully.

Just in his sigh I could sense the tension he was feeling. Although my own mama drank only for special occasions, I knew what he was talking about. Having been the man of the house at a young age, Elvis still felt like he needed to protect and care for Gladys like a partner would do.

My honey was forced to grow up way too quickly.

"I know, baby.", I let my finger graze his cheek, not overdoing it as I didn't want to distract him. "You can't control the way she reacts to stress, honey. Each of us got our own way.", I trailed off as my thoughts were wandering elsewhere.

Elvis remained silent at my words. "I know you worry, but my mama is there too. They will... Hold each other accountable.", I said in a convincing tone, letting out a little chuckle.

"You ain't worried about 'Dora?", he asked instead. I sighed and moved my gaze out of the window.

"You don't think I hear her cry herself to sleep every night?", I said, my voice cracking a little. "There's just— All my actions have brought her some sort of pain—"

"Stop blaming yourself for something you had no control over, Cece."

"I know, Elvis, I know... You've mentioned it once or twice before.", I rolled my eyes and looked down, releasing a shaky breath. "Of course I worry too. I was gone for almost a decade and once I was back all I thought of was if she still loved me. Not for one second have I wondered if she had been doing okay.", I sensed his comfort as he took hold of my hand.

"We never talked about what happened. Properly at least.", I said honestly. "I'm scared that... If this turns into something serious that— that she's gonna lose me again and that this time she won't react well."

Silence followed. I glanced at Elvis and noticed his hand shifted to his lips, something he did whenever he was deep in thought.

"My sweet Cece Flora.", his sweet, caring tone filled the car. "If we're lucky enough that this turns into something big, our mothers are going to be the Belles of the ball.", he gripped my hand again and gave it a squeeze. "Besides, I don't think it's even a possibility."

"What?"

"Losing ourselves into something we love so much.", he said in confidence.

I moved my gaze on his hand, a small, bedazzled ring on his finger. "You think?"

Elvis smiled my way. "I know."

"I'm sorry for making this about me, E. It's just that I never know what to say and I turn the conversation around.", I told him, frustrated with myself that I wasn't able to comfort him.

"You're kidding, right?", Elvis looked at me for a split second. "You always know what to say. My smart girl.", and he sealed the deal with a kiss on the back of my hand.

I rolled my eyes as a blush started spreading on my cheeks. "Always a charmer."

He started nibbling at my hand until he reached my knuckles. I swatted him away, laughing.