The aftermath

Avantika's POV

"I am taking him with me. We will meet you for dinner."

That's it, a cold goodbye and that too because Aarush was with him. Abhiram and I had been persistent on not admitting him in daycare. Not that we had anything against those, it was just that we believed that our presence would be more helpful for him in his development. And it did pay off. My Aaru was the smartest 3 year old you would ever meet - trust me, we parents so love to brag about our kids.

We had decided that Aarush would be with either of us. The days I did not have hearings in court, he would be with me in the comfort of my office in the legal firm which also had a play area for those kids who would accompany their parents. But the majority of the times, he would be with Abhiram since he had a proper cabin with all the amenities required for a three year old. Perks of being the owner.

I did not bother to bid him goodbye. I just bent down at my baby's level and kissed him on the forehead.

"Bye bye Aaru."

"Bye momma. I love you.", he said in his tiny voice which I loved so much.

"Love you too my little boy."

"Let's go baby.", his dad picked up their bags and they left.

I too had to leave soon. Today I had an important hearing, actually the most crucial one for this particular case. It was a rape case and I was so determined to have that guy thrown into the prison. My opponent was the most cunning person, often with an exodus of vividly offensive questions which would disturb the victim, my client, but she was strong, and no matter what I would be with her. Truth had to triumph, it always does.

I rushed home in a foul mood. No it wasn't that anything drastic had happened, but the amount of fabricated and twisted opinions thrown in by the opponent today simply exasperated me. I knew, the accused was his client, Adv. Bhanushali's client, but despite of being in this profession for some ten years now, I simply could not fathom how some lawyers forget even basic human decency for fees. I mean, who does not want to earn money, but this, such a vehement representation of the vile, my god. The world is cruel, and I have to face it's cruelty first hand each day, we lawyers and police do have to face this each day.

There would also be a next hearing, and I presume it would the last one, because as of now the case was open and shut in front of the judge. The best part was, this judge had a reputation of being completely unblemished and impartial.

When I stepped foot in my home, Abhiram had started to prepare the dinner. I felt bad, usually I would be the one to prepare dinner, that was my part of the chores and seeing him do that after a tiring day at work.

"Uhm, Abhiram, let me freshen up, I will take over.", I suggested.

He turned around and glanced at me, a long look at my face and then shook his head.

"You are tired. I will handle this.", his voice was cold, but I felt the concern.

Had it been some 3 months prior when he would still be seething in anger but be concerned when I had a stressful day or painful periods, I would have melted. But now I knew better.

Once I had tried to reason with him about him still being concerned about me and if he would listen to me at least once, he clenched his jaw and stated, "Do not look much into this. This is called basic consideration which you apparently lack. You have lost my respect the day you chose to accuse a woman who had just lost her child."

Tears had filled my eyes at his accusation, yet again, and I could see his eyes softening for a moment, before he simply overlooked and went back to his task. I had known then that I had in fact lost my Abhi. This cold Abhiram was new and since the past six months I am experiencing all of his shades which I had never even known.