CHAPTER 07

L A S Y A

Whenever things went wrong, humans tended to overthink. What if this was why it happened? I should have done things differently. Isn't this a little too out there? Did I react in an unwarranted manner? Maybe I should have kept quiet. All of this revolves around their heads, making them question everything that they have ever done.

While Lasya was aware that it was bad, she couldn't stop herself from doing the same that day. She had been overthinking for hours and the only thing that she had gained from it was a massive headache. Now, she was regretting ever thinking at all. It was a never-ending cycle.

She ran a hand over her face. Avyukt had gotten into a fight with one of the older kids in the orphanage. The older boy had laughed saying that Lasya wouldn't visit him anymore since she was married and that he should forget about ever getting a family, claiming that no one would want a kid like him. Understandably, Avyukt hadn't taken it too well.

Lasya exhaled, exhausted. The word worry was an understatement.

No one should have to go through what Avyukt had. The kid had been through hell and back. While the other kids had been dropped off in the orphanage by their parents, Avyukt had to be placed there against their wishes. He wasn't placed there because his parents couldn't give him the life he deserved, but because they took the peaceful childhood that he could have had.

His father was an alcoholic and his mother had taken out her baseless anger on him. She had started when he was barely three! Her father had taken matters into his own hands after someone spotted Avyukt bleeding out in the backyard of his house. It was dreadful.

Lasya thought he felt much better in the orphanage, comfortable even, but his endless tears from the day before tore that assumption down. She didn't know what to do. He was just six! Why was he going through so much? Why weren't the gods showing him any mercy?

She wiped the tears off of her cheeks. She had to do something about it. Pushing her anger aside, she strode past the guards, determined to find Rudransh. She didn't have a definite idea about what she was going to say, but all she knew for sure at that moment was that she had to find him. Regardless of the consequences.

As she turned the corner, she abruptly bumped into someone. The impact had her recoiling with enough force to send her tumbling, but the person caught her by her waist in the nick of time. Lasya breathed out in relief. Sporting a broken hip bone was not on her agenda.

"And here I was, thinking that our arguments were strictly verbal." a familiar voice muttered, startling her. Lasya stepped back, making Rudransh's arm slip away. She looked up, hoping that her eyes mirrored the eerie nonchalance in his. "We need to talk."

He raised an eyebrow. "What are we doing then?"

To think he was King. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes and subtly glanced at the guards. "In private."

His eyes observed hers. No, not observed. Scrutinized. He looked like he was trying to configure the purpose of her life by looking into her soul. She crossed her arms, unable to withstand the intensity of his gaze.

"Let's go to my chamber."

As she followed him, Lasya couldn't help but turn pink at the knowing looks the guards shared. She knew exactly what they were thinking about. It was a perk of having an older sister. Hearing about it the first time had traumatized her, it genuinely had, but the endless stories and rumours that Samanvitha had shared had quelled her fear.

Rudransh closed the door before turning to her. "What is so important that you had to run through the hallway?"

Lasya thanked the universe. He had mistaken her embarrassment for exhaustion. "I visited the orphanage today. There's a six-year-old kid called Avyukt and he's the sweetest child. I helped the matron take care of him since he's too energetic for his own good."