Chapter Nine

(A/N: As requested by pokemon900t I'm going to do two parts to this chapter. One where Abby lives and one when she dies. The one where she lives is going to be the canon one as I'm going to continue into the second movie and then eventually the third.)

Owen paces back and forth in the family room of the hospital, Claire sat on one of the chairs asleep. The Doctor walks in, Claire waking up and standing next to Owen "How is she?" Owen asks. "She's out of surgery and in recovery." the Doctor responds. "O-Okay, but how is she?" Owen asks. "It's too soon to tell, she's lost a lot of blood. You can go to her room it's 418, just down the corridor." the Doctor tells him. Owen nods "You go, I'll wait here. Don't want to overwhelm her." Claire tells Owen. Nodding, Owen immediately heads down the corridor to Abby's room. Owen walks in, finding Abby awake and propped up by pillows "Hey Sweetheart." he smiles, walking over and sitting by her bed. Abby weakly smiles "Hey." she responds. "You scared the Hell out of me." Owen tells her. "Sorry." Abby tells him. Owen holds her hand "Just don't do it again." he smiles. Abby smiles "What about my babies?" she asks. "They're alright, still on the island obviously." Owen reassures her, making her nod. "As long as they're alright." Abby smiles slightly.

The two siblings chat before Abby coughs slightly, finding herself suddenly breathless "Abby? Hey, what's wrong Sweetheart?" Owen asks her, worry on his face. "I can-can't breathe... I-I can't..." she panics, wheezing. "Hey, we need help in here!" Owen shouts, running to the door. Abby wheezes, grasping at her chest as a doctor and two nurses run in. The doctor immediately starts check her vitals and puts his stethoscope to her chest "Okay, she got a fluid build up round her chest. She's bleeding internally, we need to get her to the OR." he tells the nurses. "What's happening to her?" Owen asks. "She's suffocating, you need to let us work." one of the nurses tell him. Owen steps back letting the doctor and the two nurses wheel Abby out the room "What's happened?" Claire asks, running over. "She was fine and then she..." Owen trails off. Claire hugs him, letting him hold her close as he tries to hold back tears "She's a fighter Owen." she tells him. Owen nods as he pulls away the two of them heading back to the family room, Owen beginning to pace back and forth again.

Scenario One (Canon)
After a while, Abby's doctor walks in "Is she okay?" Owen immediately asks. "We got her stable, she should be alright. She's back in her room, you can go and see her." he responds. Own nods "Thank you." he tells the man as he hugs Claire. Owen rushes out the room and heads back to Abby's room, Abby weakly smiling as he walks in "Don't you fucking do that again, Abigail Vera Grady!" he tells her, gently hugging her and kissing her head. "I'll try not to." Abby responds, leaning into him. "I love you Sweetheart." Owen tells her. "I love you too Owen." she responds, putting her face in his neck. Owen kisses her head again, climbing gently onto the bed next to her. Abby smiles and cuddles into his side, beginning to fall asleep in her brother's arms.

Scenario Two
Abby's doctor walks in making Owen turn as Claire jumps out her seat "Is she okay?" Owen asks. The doctor takes a breath "I'm sorry, we did everything we could but there was extensive blood loss. I'm very sorry for your loss." he tells him. Owen falls back into a chair with his hand over his mouth, Claire going over and wrapping her arms round him "I'm so sorry Owen." she tells him. "This wasn't meant to happen, she wasn't supposed to..." Owen trails off with a sob. Claire holds him close as he cries into her shoulder, her own tears beginning to fall as she closes her eyes.