Chapter Five

We walked up to one of the dorm rooms, music and laughter flooding outside.

The door was open, and teens stood outside on the grass, either drinking or smoking cigarettes. Talking or kissing each other in between drinks.

You mustn't drink.

Smoking is unhealthy.

These damage you.

I stiffened, trying to inhale as little of the fumes as possible.
"I'm getting drinks. Do you want anything!?" Katie yelled over the music.

I shook my head.

"I'm driving," Dominic had said back. Katie nodded, "right," and had left.

I looked around, bright lights circled the room from different corners and music blared. It felt like a club.

I saw boys dressed in gory costumes, one that looked like he was a crashed pilot. Fake blood, torn, and burned skin all along his side.

Another, a creature dressed in black with a white face, soulless eyes, and smiling, always smiling so, so big.

Zombies with black eyes and rotten teeth, skin peeling, and bruised.

Girls dressed like ghouls or nuns or in revealing clothes.

Something had brushed against my shoulder, and I had jumped, turning to see some sort of creature that resembled a horrific, mutilated bunny.

I wanted to scream. I wanted to leave. My body shook uncontrollably.

"Hey," I jumped again, this time it was only Dominic. Dominic, just dressed in jeans and a plaid. Dominic, who seemed so much less intimidating. Dominic, who looked almost concerned, curious.

"Are you okay?" He asked, leaning closer so I could hear him.

I shook my head, staring into his chest to keep from looking at these things, those costumes that looked so, so real.

He had stared at me, realizing the fear overtaking my body, and had led me outside.

"You don't go to Halloween parties much, do you?" He asked once we were outside.
I shook my head, "we weren't allowed... at the orphanage," I said cautiously.

"Hm... You know," he leaned closer, "it's just costumes and stuff, right? It's just people dressed in things like... whatever that bunny thing was."

I nodded, holding my hands tightly together so they would stop shaking.

He looked at my hands and then back at my face. "Some probably take it a little too far with all the masks or makeup, but it's just people, like me or Katie."

I nodded.

"Do you want to leave?" He asked. His voice had softened, and he sounded kind and gentle.

"... But Katie -"

"She'll be okay," he interrupted. "I know Macy's here. She could drive her back."

"I feel like I'd be a bad friend, though," I said.

He smiled, "trust me, this is nothing compared to some of the things I do to my friends. You'll be okay. Katie is pretty forgiving."

I looked at him, looking at his galaxy blue eyes. I hadn't noticed how beautiful they actually were till now. That blue that looked so intense. Almost trusting.

But I couldn't do that.

Stupidly I nodded. A mix of worry and defense piling inside me, but I wanted to leave. I couldn't stay with all those things. 

So, I followed, putting my shield up and got into the car and left.