Chapter 5

"Wake up sleepyhead" Dylan says, and I feel my bed dip beside me. I just groan in response. "Come on, Audrey. You have to wake up" he says more firmly. I slowly open my eyes and slide out of bed. He leaves to let me get changed as I grab a sweatshirt and leggings. I brush my teeth and wash my face before brushing out my hair. I throw on converse before trudging down the stairs.

"I'm seriously not in the mood for this today" I mumble as I'm greeted by Wes, Dylan, and Michael all at the table dressed in scrubs. Mason already left for work.

"You will be fine princess" Dylan says, gently kissing my head before heading out the door with Wes.

I get in Michaels car as he drives us to his work. He signs in and leads me back to an exam room. He sits on a stool at his computer and turns to face me. "Can you hop up on the bed for me?"

I pause for a minute, but oblige. Michael spends a few minutes typing on his computer, myself trying to not cry. Michael gets up from his computer and take the stethoscope from around his neck.

"Just gonna slide this under your top, deep breaths for me love" Michael says, warming up the bell with his hands and gently sliding it under my top. He moves it around to my back and instructs me to breathe. "It's a little fast for my liking, which is probably the nerves, but I'll get Mason to come take a look just in case" he says once he removes the stethoscope, placing it around his neck. I just nod and stay silent, not trusting my voice.

"This is gonna go around your hoodie" Michael explains, wrapping a blood pressure cuff around my arm. He starts pumping it, and when it starts to get really tight, I panic and grab his arm. "It's okay, it's alright, almost done" he says before removing it moments later. "Also a little high, but that's definitely nerves"

"I'm gonna check you eyes, ears, and throat now, ok?" He asks, waiting for my response. I nod. "That's all I'm gonna get?"

"yeah" I mumble.

"There's the voice I was looking for" Michael smiles. He takes a tool and slips it in my ears, then grabs a pen light and shines it in my eyes. He then grabs a stick and the same penlight. "Can you open and say ahhh" I genuinely hate this part with all of my being. It feels so invading.

"Can we skip this part please Michael" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"No, what's wrong with this part? You are doing so well" he asks.

"I really don't like this part" I say quietly. Michael just nods.

"Sweetheart it's super easy and quick, it doesn't hurt at all" he reassures "I can skip it for now but I'll have to do it today though" I just nod at the compromise.

"Can you lay back for me?" He asks, I comply. "I'm just gonna press on your stomach, tell me if you feel any pain at all" I nod, and he slips his cold hands under my sweatshirt and I wince at the sudden coldness. "Pain?"

"It's just cold I'm ok" I say, and he nods and continues. He presses a few more spots and then lets me sit up.

"Can you take your shoes off and step on the scale for me real quick?" I nod and slide off my converse and step in the scale as Michael plays with the weights. Once he is satisfied, he takes my height and writes down both numbers. He tells me to get back on the bed so I do.

"One more thing sweetie. This will be super quick" he says, grabbing the stick and penlight again. I lightly groan and Michael chuckles. "Say ahh for me" I do, and I didn't even notice a tear slip until Michael wipes it away.

Before I can even process that, Mason enters the room with a huge smile.

"I heard my favorite patient was here" He says way too excitedly, a small smile tugging the corners of my lips. "I also heard you wanted a consult?" He asks, looking to Michael.

"Yeah, her heartbeat was fast but it's most likely nerves but I figured you wanted one anyway" He says, typing on his computer again. Mason nods.

"Ok sweetheart, just take deep breathes for me" he says, taking his stethoscope from a round his neck and placing it under my top. He moves it around my chest a few times before removing it. "Perfect healthy heart" he says smiling. Michael then gives Mason a knowing look before a nurse walks in, handing Michael a tray.

"Vaccines you ordered, Dr. Wilson" She says.

"Thank you Susan" he responds as she leaves. I feel a huge lump in my throat as my eyes burn with tears, knowing exactly what's on that tray.