Let's Be Roomies

Saturday morning brought sunshine and a light breeze, and Caylee considered it a good omen for her conversation with JB. She picked him up at Jack's and they both waved off Jack and Bailey's offers to come along and help them with the search.

"I think we can manage to take a tour with a realtor on our own," JB said grumpily, while Jack stood there with his arms folded watching them drive away.

Caylee grinned. "Jack giving you a hard time, JB?"

"Him and Bailey both. Double-teaming me with all the senior community nonsense. Who the hell wants to live around nothing but old people?"

"Don't worry, JB, I've got you on this one." Hopefully more than you realize yet, Caylee thought.

"Good."

"We're not meeting the realtor until 10:00," Caylee told JB as he readjusted himself in his seat in the car she borrowed from Sam and Camilla. She really did need to get her own vehicle soon.

"So that gives us plenty of time to have a nice breakfast and talk about what we are both looking for."

JB glanced over at her. "So are you thinking you want to rent for awhile or dive right in and buy?"

"I'm not sure. Rent, probably. Of course if I do that I'm missing out on the tax breaks you get here in Florida on your residence. What are you thinking?"

"It depends. If I find the right place I'll buy it. I'm here to stay, you know."

"I'm glad." She reached over and touched his arm. "I could use some family right now."

"Something bothering you?"

"What, are you a mind reader?"

"Problems with that young man of yours?"

"No, he's great. I want you to get to know him. No, my problems are all back in the Northeast."

JB grunted. "That mother of your wasn't thrilled about you making this move, was she?"

"Not at all," Caylee said, letting him assume, for now, that her mother's disapproval was what was bothering her. There was plenty of time to get to what was really on her mind over breakfast.

* * *

"You picked a good spot," JB said once they were settled into the outdoor porch seating at the café on Ocean Drive, with a view looking across the street at the bright green grass of Lumus park and the white sand beach and shimmering turquoise waters of the Atlantic Ocean just beyond.

"It's my favorite already," Caylee told him.

"Then what do you recommend?"

"They have these eggs Benedicts, but with crab cakes or smoked salmon, instead of bacon. Much better for your heart," Caylee emphasized.

"That sounds great. Let's get both and split them."

"Works for me."

Caylee looked up when the server arrived, and made the order. When she was asked if they wanted the signature crispy fries or fresh fruit on the side, JB jumped in.

"I suppose I better stick with the fruit," he said reluctantly.

"Fresh fruit for both of us. But let's get mimosas," she added, and he grinned.

"That sounds great."

"See how well we get along?" she asked him after the server walked away.

"What do you mean? Of course we get along," JB said. "I consider you my granddaughter."