Chapter Two

1905

"You're sure we're going back to England before December 30th?" I asked my father as he drove the car down the road.

"We'll be back by the 29th, Natalia." He looked back at me with a cigarette in his mouth. I sat in the back with Doc Shirley and looked out the window. I wanted to be back in time for Thomas's birthday. He's turning fifteen.

"Why are you so worried that we will get back before then?" Shirley asked me.

"My friend." I said quietly, hoping he would drop the subject. He didn't, obviously.

"I thought you were dating that Callahan boy." My father called from the front seat. I wanted to hit him. Callahan was an asshole.

"So?" I asked.

"Don't you think you should cut the Shelby boy out of your life?" My dad asked, taking a drink of his water. I scoffed.

"Why would I do that? He's like the best goddamn person in this shitty-" I was cut off.

"What the hell did I tell you about your language, huh? Watch your mouth!" He yelled. Doc was obviously getting uncomfortable beside me.

I didn't answer him, I just held my breath for a few seconds before exhaling slowly. I didn't answer him. I just looked out the window, wishing we were back home. Back home with my mother.

I felt hopeless. I have no control over my life. My father made it very clear to me. Wake up, eat, school, dance, eat, sleep. On weekends it was eat, dance, eat, sleep. I didn't have any time to myself. It was all for money.

"You need to focus on your Dances, Natty. You have time for one boy. Callahan is smart, polite, and all the other things in the book. You should stick with him." My father told me. I looked over to Doc for help, but he's asleep now.

"But he's ugly. He treats me like an object." I retorted towards the front of the car. He groaned in response.

"He treats you well in front of me. That's all that matters." Nothing could have hurt me more than those words. I felt like my heart was being ripped into shreds. I lost all trust in my father.

"How about some quiet time?" Doc said, looking at the both of us. I nodded, resting my head against the window. Tears silently fell from my eyes as the hours passed. They were all from my fathers words.

-

The second the car came to a stop, I unlocked the house doors and immediately went to my room. Thomas's letter specifically said 7:00. It was 6:30. It took me about five minutes to fix my hair and put on a decent dress. I didn't worry about makeup.

I wrapped the pocket watch in a box with a piece of string and put it in the pocket of my dress. I heard Doc go to his room, then a beer open for my dad. He would be passed out by the time I got back. He wouldn't mind if I left.

I slipped out the door, running down the street alone. It was a nice night. The stars were out for the first time in a long time. They're wasn't any wind, it was just beautiful.

I knocked on their door eagerly, wanting to see my best friend. Thomas opened the door with a huge smile on his face and hugged me, spinning me around. I know I was about two minutes late, but this was the best feeling in the world.

"Happy birthday, Tom!" I told him as he let go of me. I took the small box out of my pocket and handed it to him. Their Aunt Polly came into the room, leading us both to the dining room table where his family sat. I knew his brothers and his sister. Thomas was my favorite.

After we all said grace, Polly smiled at me. "So how have you been, Natalia? We read about you in the papers." She told me. It wasn't uncommon for me to be in different papers every once in a while. I didn't really like it when people brought it up, but Polly was an exception.