Chapter Nine

January 26 1909

I took four of the pain medications the doctor had prescribed for me on the way to the theater. Adam looked at me weirdly as I swallowed them without taking a sip of water.

The performing theater had big black letters on the front of it. Natalia Vallelonga Show. They said, My name was on the front of the first three buildings. I had never felt prouder.

Ivanov stopped the car, allowing us to get out at the front doors. Mobs of people surrounded the red carpet, I wrapped my white fur scarf around my shoulders to cover the cleavage my dress showed. I didn't want to spend less time on makeup because I had to get the dress on.

Adam got out after me, not getting recognized as much. I've had five different dancing partners in the last five years. He was the one I was willing to work with the most. He never made an approach towards me. He never touched me in a way I didn't like. He never made any passes at me.

Cameras flashed in our eyes as we walked down the red carpet. I was in front of Adam like I always was. This was one of the biggest crowds I had ever seen. It was bigger than Christmas and new years combined. It was all for me.

The two of us made it back to the dressing rooms, immediately going to makeup. I lined my eyes with brown liner and put some pigment on my eyelashes to make them pop out more. Adam was getting his white attire on. Ballet was first.

I laced the pointe shoes on my feet up up my ankles. More padding was added to these shoes since my feet were sore from the days prior. Tonight everything had to be perfect.

"Vallelonga, ten minutes." Ivanov said as he made his way through the curtains and to the stage. People came in behind me, plugging in all kinds of cords so the microphone could work. I finished up the powder on my nose as soon as my instructor started talking.

I stretched my back out, then rolled my ankles a bit. I heard them pop in a lot of different places, that just meant that they were ready.

The other ballerina's were done warming up and waiting by the red curtain, waiting for the music to start. The violins started, and the curtains were pulled back, making them all pour out in unison to the beat. Adam and I came out last, being in the center of attention.

I moved around for about a minute, doing my own thing before Adam did his part and held onto my waist as he was about to throw me into the air. I held my breath as I landed on my feet, bowing and doing a different move to mask the pain I felt in my toes. The crowd applauded at the move. I smiled at Adam, knowing we just pulled off something almost impossible. I had just landed a jump where I spun five times in a row. It was perfect. It was better than perfect.

The crowd applauded once the dance was finished with Adam and I bowing in front of the stage. I saw John and his girl Martha stand up and cheer, clapping their hands together. Thomas was sitting near the front like he always did.

The curtain closed once again and I got out of my pointe shoes and put on the two inch heels I wore for ballroom. I told Ivanov to put the ice last since I was less familiar with it. He reluctantly agreed, making the ice the last performance for the night.

There were half hour breaks in between performances. Each performance was at least ten minutes long, making the entire show last around two hours. We started at 6 in the evening. It was already nearing 7. I was halfway done.

I changed into the fiery orange dress Ivanov had suggested I wear for the performance. Adam would be wearing the same vibrant color, and he wanted us to look like a couple. He made sure to specify it wouldn't be a romantic couple, rather a couple that looked put together. I didn't really understand what he meant.