Inexorable

"Rumour has it, you've got a problem."

Alec fixed the blonde man, Garrow, with a deep frown. "You are mistaken."

The visitors wore the expected formal attire required in the castle, but there was something false in their formality. Like wearing a raincoat in the humidity of the Amazon. The men stood beside each other; the older one with stern but youthful features had his arms crossed over his chest while Garrow stuck his hands in his pockets; the relaxed posture only served to enhance the attractiveness of his features.

"Oh?" The girl challenged with a naturally seductive lilt. "No vampire running around, causing trouble from the Baltic Sea to the Himalayas?" The young woman dropped gracefully into an armchair, her black dress failing to hide her long legs as they hung over the side. I waited for her to light a cigarette like some 1940s Hollywood actress.

Alec clenched his jaw, a flicker of annoyance crossing his face. The girl winked in triumph, sizing him up with a perplexing challenge in her eyes as if she hadn't just lost to Percy in five seconds flat.

"Your Masters knew to expect us."

Alec turned a dark glare on the more distinguished-seeming man.

"Atlas," Garrow revealed, and I realized Alec didn't know this one. Atlas nodded but did not speak. He was modestly Herculean in his build, but his slicked-back medium-length hairstyle made him resemble a dashing attorney. He looked neater than the other two, but perhaps that was what made Alec so uncertain. "He's been traveling with us for nearly a century."

"Which you would know, Al, if you kept in touch." I didn't like how she continued to address him, and Alec sneered, giving the impression he appreciated it even less. If I thought he hadn't liked Issa and Libby, something about this group must be uniquely complicated.

As patiently as he could, Alec finalized, "We have no use for you or your rumors."

Garrow had the nerve to cut him off. "Clearly, Aro doesn't think so." Oh, boy. "Respectfully." The catch just barely saved him from a wrathful Alec.

Talib joined in to steady the conversation. "And have you spoken with the Masters yet?"

"Thought it'd be more fun to find you first."

Talib pursed his lips, shooting Percy a glance. "Let's remedy that."

Garrow ignored him and jousted in a poor attempt to ease the tension, "Who's the heartbeat?" as I examined the group from Alec's side. I blinked, realizing he was already surveying me, not unlike a meal but heavy with intrigue. A little too much intrigue, in Alec's opinion, as a rumbling snarl made the other male back off – at least, I thought it would.

Thank the gods for Talib, who stepped in again before Alec's temper broke. "Our newest member."

"She's human."

I butted in, not liking the woman's tone. "Last I checked." She gave me a genuine smile, but the magnetic energy still radiated off of her.

My gaze switched to Atlas, who appeared to be observing our stances, my hand on Alec and the protective wave emanating from the twin. I made the strategic decision to separate from Alec and move closer to Percy.

The woman scanned me up and down with an enigmatic smize. She was gorgeous. "Will you not introduce us, Alec?"

They were obviously toying with him. As if they knew the exact buttons to push, and he was tolerating it. Why the hell was he tolerating their attitudes?

Alec folded his arms, "Saffiya, this is Garrow and Oakley. They are members of the Reserve Guard." I glanced up at the new title. With a pretentious smirk, he clarified, "They come when called."