Dispensation

~ Alec ~

"Are we to presume that anything pertaining to Saffiya is off-limits?"

Hamzah shuffled uncomfortably as they waited for my decision. But the question was asinine, so I refused to answer.

Prosper took up the mantle with a sigh. "As far as they will be concerned, Alec and I were attacked on the train, and John received the recent threat as a message on his travels."

Aro's invite to the cousins and their companion, and his decision to keep me in the dark about their visit, had me seething for the last day and a half. The three Kings were well aware of my sister and I's shared disdain for Garrow and Oakley, but we were rational and professional. And I had no right to question the Masters. They always knew best.

However, I did not trust myself around them in this state, and my mate was the only one who kept me under control. At least, I'd hypothesized as much under a strong bias of missing her, and so I let it guide my decisions.

As such, her reluctance to leave the confines of the library today prompted a change of scenery for my task force. None questioned the change, but it was likely they had accurately speculated amongst themselves as to my reasoning. It was a tricky balance, maintaining both power and nonchalance when I was so attached to my mate. I hoped it would be easier once she was turned, especially now that we had set boundaries and were beginning to build a level of comfort and connection.

I ran my hand through my hair, still damp from the shower I'd taken to wash away the scent of my mate in case I encountered the Reserves. They could become suspicious if my scent stood out on her more than any other. I stayed with Saffiya till sunrise, far longer than I should have, but not even Prosper dared say a word about it when I finally took my leave.

Saffiya had taken up residence in one of the side nooks, propped up on the couch. She was staring ahead of her with a contemplative expression, scowling at the wall as if it were the reason for whatever thought was plaguing her. She was positioned directly in my line of sight. An intentional decision on my part, as I had failed to consider the complications that would arise from choosing such a location.

The initial distractions arose as Saffiya drew her leg up closer to her chest, using her knee to balance her book. Her dress slipped higher on her thigh, and absentmindedly, she pulled the skirt back down. My chest rumbled briefly, dismayed by the decision.

The sound drew the attention of the table, which purposefully included only Prosper, Hamzah, Kiara, Talib, Percy, and Dorian. This gathering would not be an official meeting, as I preferred not to waste valuable time letting the Reserves acclimate to the situation. It was a simple check-in for updates and introduction for the undesired new members. I nodded, indicating to Kiara that despite the growl, there were no qualms with her words. She continued – something about Paris.

My gaze returned to my mate. Her emerald eyes were already on me with a concerned curiosity. Her emotions read plain as day on her face, a trait I dreaded her losing for the good of the Volturi facade. I nodded again to free her of worry. Her body grew tense for a second before she gave me a soft smile and refocused on her reading.

Dorian concurred with whatever Kiara said, "We have no leads. If we shut down the one base we know of, we may not find another." I was aware that some members of my team sided with the Masters, initially believing that Razin and his threats were of little consequence. None had been so outspoken about their beliefs as Dorian. He had become defensive in light of the news that Razin might have seen our future and avoided acknowledging that he had been incorrect.

"What of Atlas's information? The revelation changes...everything."

Kiara scoffed, "Yes, Razin's rebellion is more of a threat than we believed. But it does not change our current status." Her voice thickened before her statement concluded. She had also grown frustrated with the discovery of Razin's advantage as if we should have deduced it all along.