Chapter 12

There was a couple of seconds of silence before he spoke again.

"But you are on the pill, right?" he asked, turning towards me. I didn't answer. "Aubrey?" he tried again.

"I hadn't had sex in three years, I couldn't have known it would happen," I mumbled.

"Three years?!" he yelled.

"Shhh," I shushed him.

"Three years, Aubrey?," he whispered. I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"Alright, good talk," I said, pushing him further away from me onto the bed.

"Baby, don't take it like that," he said softly, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me back in. "I just mean, like, why? You're a very pretty girl, I just don't understand," he whispered.

"I don't know, the occasion just didn't present itself," said. He chuckled.

"Girl, you know Jared would have loved to fix that for ya, right?"

"Well, I'm not like you!" I snapped.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I can't just sleep with anyone; I'm not one of those girls," I said. He rolled his eyes.

"The girls I've been with don't necessarily sleep with just anyone," he defended himself.

"That's really the hill you wanna die on?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Look, picture this: you're at a bar in Burlington and young Johnny Depp shows up. Even if you don't usually sleep with random men, you're telling me you wouldn't try and get a piece of that?"

"Are you comparing yourself to young Johnny Depp, right now?" I asked, audibly judging him by the tone of my voice.

"No I- You know what, nevermind," he laughed. "But I'm making you an appointment tomorrow to get that pill cause ain't no way I'm gonna glaze you up like a toaster strudel every time we have sex."

"Morgan! That's so crass!" I said, feeling my cheeks turn red. He laughed and kissed the top of my head.

"Tired?" he asked. I nodded. "Alright, let's get to bed," he said, turning off the lights and getting into bed. I got under the blankets and he pulled me into his arms. "I'm really glad you're here," he whispered, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. I smiled to myself and slowly, I dozed off into his arms.

***

I woke up the next morning to the smell of freshly cooked bacon. I quickly checked my phone; 11:00 AM. I jumped out of bed and immediately got dressed, quickly throwing on sweatpants and a t-shirt and putting my hair up into a ponytail.

"Ellie?" I called, making my way down the hallway.

"In here, mama!" She yelled from the living room. I followed her voice and found her sitting on the floor playing with her barbie dolls with a woman I assumed was Morgan's mom.

"Hi, I hope you don't mind, we decided to let you sleep in a little," the woman said, smiling at me. She had long dirty-blonde hair, amazing cheekbones and gorgeous blue eyes, just like his. "I'm Lesli, by the way. Morgan's mom," she smiled.

"I'm Aubrey," I said. "Ellie's mom," I added jokingly. She laughed.

"Isn't she the sweetest little girl," she said, pinching Ellie's little toes and making her laugh. I smiled. Ellie looked so at ease already. She really was good with kids. I looked around the room, trying to figure out where Morgan was.

"He's in the shower," Lesli said, noticing my eyes scanning the room. "Should be out any minute now, but please, grab some coffee and make yourself at home. It's been a while since he's had a woman in his life that he felt he could bring home to his mama. I'm very excited that we get to have you with us," she winked. I smiled.