Chapter 25

"I'm still not sure this is a good idea," I mumbled as Morgan drove around Nashville to find the address Seth had sent him.

"Yeah, well, it's been two hours and Seth still hasn't called me back so, I'm not gonna just wait around."

"I don't want you to get yourself in trouble, that's all," I added softly.

"I will get in trouble if I need to, I don't care what anyone has to say. Family comes first and I won't let something slide with Ellie that I wouldn't with Indie. It just don't work like that."

I had to admit that seeing him get so involved to protect my daughter was making me fall in love with him even more. I had been hiding the pregnancy from him because I thought that it might affect his reputation, but I now realized that Jared had been right all along. He didn't care about his reputation. Not when it came to his family. He loved Ellie more than her dad ever had and he was willing to get in the line of fire for her. I looked down at my baby bump, rubbing it softly. You're one lucky kid. That man will never let anyone harm you.

"We're here," he said, pulling into the parking space of a small building.

"Do we know the apartment number?" I asked.

"We do, it's- Wait," he said, squinting his eyes. His face changed when the realization hit him. "That's Katie's car."

"Are you sure? It could just be the same-"

"That stupid fucking bumped sticker?" he said, pointing to a sticker that read Badass Cowgirl. "Yeah, I'm sure."

"You really think she would go that far? To post pictures of Ellie online? Just to get back at me?" I said, not wanting to believe a mom would actually do that to a fellow mom.

"Well, we're here, aren't we, Aubrey?" He snapped.

"That's fucked up."

He jumped out of his truck and I ran after him.

"Do you even know whose apartment this is?" I asked, while he rang the doorbell aggressively. He shook his head no.

"Who's this?" A man's voice asked over the intercom.

"Morgan. Open up," he ordered sternly. There was a short silence and a woman's voice took over.

"Why are you here? Are you following me?" Katie said.

"Open that fucking door before I break it down, Katie."

"Morgan," I warned him softly. He kept ringing the doorbell when we finally heard a buzzing sound and a soft click letting us know that the door was unlocked. Morgan rushed up the stairs and I followed him. He knocked on the door of apartment number 8 and a guy -pretty good looking guy, if I'm being honest- opened the door.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Where the fuck is she?" Morgan asked, obviously agitated.

"Daddy!!" I heard a little voice yell from inside the apartment. A tiny hand grabbed the door and opened it slightly wider and Indie poked his head out, beaming at his dad.

"Hi, buddy," Morgan said softly, picking him up. "Where's mama?"

"In the kitchen," he said, placing a cute peck on Morgan's cheek.

"Can you get Katie, man?" Morgan told the guy impatiently.

"Sure, sorry bro. I'm Luke, by the way. I know we met at the hospital, but I didn't really get to introduce myself. I really like your music man, I-"

"Luke!" Katie said angrily, forcing him to shut up. He got out of her way and she came to face us.

"Why are you here, Morgan," she asked dryly. "Why are you both here, actually?"

"Where the fuck do you get off?!" Morgan said. I saw Indie's expression change and a concerned look took over his little face.

"Hey, Indie! Remember me?" I asked, trying to distract him. He nodded shyly. "Do you want to go for a walk? I saw a cute ice cream place around the corner-"

"He's not going anywhere," Katie snapped, taking him from Morgan's arms and putting him down inside the apartment. "Go play," she told him. I sighed.

"I know it was you, Seth tracked the IP address of that post. Reddit, Katie? Really?" Morgan said.

"What the fuck are you even going on about? Are you drunk, boy?"

"Why would you do that?" I asked. "You want to hate me? That's fine. You want to expose me online or make me look like just another brainless groupie he's messing around with? Also fine, I'm a big girl, I can handle it. But why did you have to bring my child into this? That's messed up. I would have never done something like that to you, or your son," I said calmly, trying to stay level-headed.

"I didn't take the pictures," she said.

"I don't doubt that," I responded. "But, you still posted them. Why?"

"Why not? You wanna play super dad for the cameras with that baby on your hip, but you can't take a little bit of heat?" She chuckled dryly, looking at Morgan.

"It's not about me you fucking psycho!" he yelled at her.

"Hey, your kid is here, keep it down," I whispered, trying to get him to calm down, at least for Indie's sake. He sighed.

"See, this? Right here?" He said pointing at me. "What she just told me? That is a prime example of why she'll never stoop as low as you. Hurting a kid to get to me, Katie? That kind of shit is exacly why, even with Indie in the mix,  I never even thought of getting back together with you," he snapped. "Take that shit down or god help me I will sue the fuck out of you and suck you dry. And that kid in there that you just snapped at?" He said, pointing at Indie's little blond hair. "He's the one paying for all that cosmetic bullshit you ruined your face with. So maybe try being a decent fucking mom so I don't change my mind and sue you for full custody," he spat. I was speechless. I had never seen him so angry. Every word he spoke to her felt like a dagger coming out of his mouth. "I'm giving you one hour before I press charges."

She slammed the door in his face angrily and he grabbed me by the arm, dragging me down the stairs with him.

"Morgan," I said softly. He ignored me and kept pulling on  my arm.

"Babe, you're hurting me!" I snapped, pulling my arm away from him.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "I'm just so fucking pissed. Of all people, she had to be one who done this. I fucking hate her. I pity that poor goof who-"

"Morgan," I stopped him. "You didn't tell Indie goodbye." He sighed and looked at me.

"How is your heart always in the right place like that? How do you do it?" he asked. I shrugged. "We'll come pick him up tomorrow after the house showings. It's my week anyway."

"So, do we have to sleep here tonight?" I asked nervously. He looked at his watch.

"We don't have to but, it is getting late and we do have an early morning," he shrugged.

"If I agree to this, am I gonna find someone else's shit in your house?" I asked, biting my fingernails. He chuckled.

"No one else's stuff. Just the stuff you left in my dressing room in Milwaukee."

"You kept it?" I asked, genuinely shocked.

"Yeah," he admitted, embarrassed. "I held out hope."

"Alright then," I finally gave in.

"Look at you, learning to trust me," he joked. I rolled my eyes and he placed a gentle kiss on the top of my head. If I wasn't convinced before of the lengths this man would go to for Ellie and I, I definitely was now.

-------------------------------

Alright so, I have an insanely high fever right now and I'm heavily medicated so if this absolutely sucks please let me know and I'll delete it and try again when I feel better lmao

Also, we made it to 1.5k views! Thanks to each and every one of you!

XO

LadyBug