Chapter 2

Madelyn's POV

      "I heard you performed surgery with him this morning." Julia smiled teasingly at me. How in the world does she even know everything? She doesn't work in the ER, and she didn't even have a shift until 9 this morning.

       "Who?" I asked back. Sipping on my cup of coffee. 

        She scoffed, rolling her eyes with a smile still on her face. "You know exactly who I'm talking about."

         "I don't, surprisingly enough." I actually do, the moment she started talking.

        "Does a hot surgeon that you bumped into a few days back ring a bell?" She leaned in a bit, setting down her utensils and she looked me straight in the eye.

        "I don't find him hot, okay?" Wait, uh oh.

        She smiled in victory. "So you did actually perform surgery with him." Musing at me, she sat back and picked up her utensils again, shoving a spoon full of pasta into her mouth.

       I chuckled, looking away while pressing my tongue to the roof of my mouth. I must've forgot about how nosy my friends are. "I did, because my patient was dying." I said in a matter of factly tone.

       "Mhmm." She nodded, chewing on her food. Staring at me, not taking any of it. What does she want me to tell her, I'm already telling the truth.

       Shaking my head, I shoved the green leaves from my salad into my mouth. 

        "Hey girls, care if I join?" I raised my head up, smiling as the guy sat down next to us, putting his tray down "I swear, this hospital is assigning all the weirdest cases to me today." He let out a big breath and started eating his lunch.

        "You don't even work in the ER, James. What do you mean weird cases?" I raised a brow.

        "Well, it's considered weird for outside the ER. Plus, I work all over the hospital, it's how psychiatry works. We talk to people." 

        "Mmm." Julia took the straw out of her mouth. "I second that. I feel so bad at times though, for what those people are going through."

        "Oh, I just remembered something." I set down my fork as the two turned their heads to me, waiting for me to continue. "I had this patient last night, he should still be unconscious from the surgery due to a severe brain injury, but would one of you mind speaking to him a when he wakes up, I'll call for you."

        Julia nodded. "I'll do it,  do you know the cause of the brain injury."

        "He fell down 26ft, which to me is just straight up bizarre to me. the nurses told me that he was seen falling down in the center of a mall from the third floor."

       James cringed at little at the thought, in terror. "Imagine how traumatized the other people must have been to see that."

        "I know." I stuffed in another fork full of salad. 

        "Wait, the one you performed surgery on this morning?" Julia said, making me groan taking a sip of my coffee. I hope the bitterness of this will distract me.

         "Julia, please don't start on that again." I gulped down the coffee in my mouth, feeling the iced bitterness running down my throat. It keeps me up since the last time I slept was literally before that surgery, but my shift ends in an hour and a half. then I could go lay in my bed for a good 12 hours.

        "Why?" James asked, curiously.

        Julia started to giggle, yes giggle. What are we? High school girls meeting their crush? Gesturing him to lean in closer so she could whisper into his ears, I just stared at the two as they exchanged looks, his eyes widening in surprise while smiling, glancing over at me occasionally.