thirty-three

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍, 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐀

—𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲

As the sun dipped below the horizon, causing a warm glow to spread throughout the beach. Valerie carefully parked her car near the shore.

Taking a moment to collect herself, Valerie said a quick prayer before heading to the spot. Their spot.

Valerie knew what she was getting into. She knew that this might mess up their relationship for good. But she was willing to take that risk as long as she got to tell Drew how she really feels.

Valerie counted her steps as she walked toward the fat palm tree, her nerves getting to the best of her.

"15,16,17-"

"Val."

Her counting abruptly ceased when Drew's voice cut through the air. Looking up, Valerie met Drew's gaze beneath the fat palm tree.

He looked beautiful. The soft glow shining in all the right places, making his features more chiseled then they already are. His black t-shirt being slightly too small on him, accentuating his biceps.

In the past few months, their meetings had been in poor environments and unfortunate circumstances. But in this moment, Valerie looked past all that, appreciating Drew's beauty in a way she hadn't allowed herself before.

"Hi."

"Hey, Val." Drew smiled warmly as he sat down on the sun-chair beneath the palm tree. "You look pretty."

Valerie raised her eyebrows, amused by Drew's compliment, and let out a genuine laugh. This meeting was last minute so she didn't get time to properly get ready.

"What?" Drew laughed at the sound of hers. "I'm serious."

"Alright, thank you." Valerie smiled, joining him on the sun-chair. A comfortable silence encompassed them, the sound of the waves creating a peaceful backdrop.

Drew, breaking the quiet moment with a playful smirk, asked, "Why did you call me here, Val? I don't think Mr. LandRover would like this."

"First of all, his name is Landon and second of all, it doesn't matter what he likes or not anymore."

Drew's eyebrows raised in surprise. "Did you...did you guys-"

Valerie nodded silently, and Drew's eyes widened. Despite secretly hoping for the downfall of Valerie's relationship with Landon, he hadn't expected it to happen so soon. It wasn't Valerie's thing to quit on a relationship so easily.

"Oh," Drew spoke, his voice carries a note of surprise, and perhaps of hope. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Really?"

"No, not really." Drew's grinned as shoulders dropped in defeat. "But can I ask you... why?"

Valerie was well aware that continuing this conversation could lead to either a positive or negative outcome.

"You know why."

"I know..." Drew gulped, eyes locked on Valerie's. "But I want to hear it from you."

Valerie looked down, avoiding his gaze, taking a moment to control herself before looking back up. "Do you remember the night before we started dating you asked if I would give Kelly a second chance?"

Drew nodded, gulping as he knew where this conversation was heading.

"And I said no... Because I don't believe in second chances." Valerie pursed her lips together, her eyes on his.