Hysteria (Lara)

As the sun came over the horizon we were on our way. Ryan and I kept our mouths shut about what had happened last night. I did not feel like explaining the whole Shadow situation again. The guy may have liked me but I wasn't entirely certain he would extend the rest of the group that same kind of courtesy.

We headed out of the building back down to the main street, now that we had a map of the traps it would be our safest option. It had been a slow start to get ready this morning, but a little water and some hard bread later and we were ready to go. For the most part this section of the city was deserted. Must have taken someone a long time and a lot of ammo to clear it.

It is so quiet out here. Nothing but tall buildings, with their shining glass windows staring down at us from a great height. Perfectly straight, lined up equidistant like dominoes ready to topple. One move and it all comes crashing down. Some of the places where that shiny glass should be are hollow. The glass broke due to time or violence I couldn't be sure.

The glass littered the street, crunching under our feet. It was the only thing to break the silence. The farther we moved into the city the more we could hear. Rippers calling out to their pets. We steered clear of them. None of us said anything, following in a tight line or practiced formation. We are taking the long way, skirting around the city center. The entire middle of the map is circled in red, 'Ripper territory'. Shadow would be close to that area. Getting in as much killing as he could. I can't blame him, those things shouldn't even count as human.

Closer and closer to the mark indicated on the map. This route was safe but eerie. This city used to be a metropolis. A symphony of sounds coming together to make the sound of life. Now it was far too quiet, the tall buildings sentinels. Watching over the hollow streets below.

Everything about this set my teeth on edge. We came up on the mark. Nothing. Casting my eyes around. Perhaps looking a bit like a pirate expecting the big red X on the map to actually be there. Dig here and treasure awaits!

"I don't see anything," Sam says dripping with confusion. A deep breath, I look around again. Old restaurants, clothing stores, a hub of activities. None of this looked like a shortcut out of the city.

"Lara maybe it's nothing... maybe we should just head back-"

"No!" I blurt out at Sam, turning on him. A wild animal ready to strike, "No there has to be something here, we've lost too much time already. I need to get to her." My skin feels like a prison, holding in every bad thing inside me. Guilt and fear heat my insides, my own personal furnace to fuel my anger.

"Lara we don't have a choice, there is no time to waste looking around for something that might not even be here. Who knows may-"

"Train," Rose calls out. Her eyes are fixed on a sign by an odd fence in the middle of the wide sidewalk. The smile is instant. I run over to the sign, sure enough. The stairs lead down into the darkness, this is it. The way out, the way to you. Wait for me just a little longer Belle, I promise I am coming for you.

Staring into that pitch black, gut gut twists more and more.

"Oh shit! That has 'hell' written all over it," Ryan mumbles from somewhere behind me. I loathe to agree with him but that small part inside of me feels every bit of that in vivid color.

"Yeah it sure does." I puff out a forceful breath of air after a long time of holding it. I hadn't even realized I had been doing it. "Well.... What are we waiting for?" I hit the first step down when a hand on my arm jerks me backwards.

"Lara wait! You can't be serious! Lara this is too dangerous.....these things were full of people when the breakout happened...there could be thousands...." Ryan's voice is more vulnerable than I have ever heard it before. A strong breeze could knock him over.