19 - Lose Myself Tonight

"Is this a joke or something?" Areum's eyes went wide when Y/N went back to her room and collapsed on her bed. "Are twisted ankles trending in Jeju? I mean, what the hell?" She scoffed, looking back at her own ankle resting on top of a pillow. "This is ridiculous."

Y/N let out a frustrated groan and buried her face in her pillow. "I didn't even get to spend so much time in the secret hideout. Then I ended up falling from a fucking high hill, in the middle of nowhere, with the guy I hate the most."

"Sound like a story you'd write," She laughed, shaking her head in disbelief. She'd been resting there when Y/N returned, and her dramatic entrance had startled her. "Okay, whatever, what happened out there in the woods?" Her eyes went wide when Y/N showed her the scrape on her arm. "Shit, that looks bad."

She winced as she touched the scrape gingerly. "It's not too bad, just a bit of a stinger. I feel lucky knowing that Jake's ankle is worse off than my arm."

Areum's eyebrows shot up. "You still haven't told me what happened in the woods. Spill it, Y/N."

"It's complicated." Y/N sighed and rolled onto her back, staring at the ceiling. "We had another argument, and then... well, we talked. About a lot of things, actually. He's a little different than the Jake that I thought I knew."

"Different in what way? You two literally kissed this morning, you obviously have something going on." Areum let out a mock gasp before she ushered Y/N to bring her the first aid kit from the drawer. 

Y/N hesitated for a moment, trying to find the right words while giving her the first aid kit and sitting beside her. She let her clean the scrape on her arm before answering. "I know it sounds strange, but it's not what you think. Yes, we kissed, but it wasn't a romantic thing. It doesn't really mean anything... although he said he's been thinking about it." 

Areum finished bandaging her arm and sat back. "If that's not a romantic thing, then I don't know what is. Y/N, I've known you for years, and I've never seen you get so riled up about a guy. I can even see it in your eyes, you're totally into him."

Y/N sighed, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "Okay, yes, I am into him. I want him to admit that he's into me too, but it's complicated. He's infuriating and we argue a lot, about anything and everything." 

"And that's the way I loved you," Areum started singing out of nowhere and Y/N just rolled her eyes and scoffed. "But I miss screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain, and it's 2 a.m. and I'm cursing your name-"

"Okay, Taylor, you can stop now. I get it." Y/N muttered and threw a pillow at her, making her laugh even harder. "But this vacation is coming to an end and I'll have to go back home. We won't meet each other for two months and there's Heran who frustrates me so much I could barely stand it."

"Y/N, I know you're too kind to say it so I'll say it for you. Heran is a little bitch, okay? She's so fucking insecure if she had to lie to get Jake's attention. A childhood friend at that. It's sad, really." Areum said bluntly, not leaving room for any misunderstanding. "And honestly, you deserve better than all this drama. You've got talent, beauty, and a great personality. If Jake can't see that, then it's his loss."

"You're too good for my ego." Y/N nudged her arm and wrapped her arms around her, pulling her in a tight hug while Areum playfully rolled her eyes. She didn't really like skinship but if it was Y/N, she'd make an exception. 

"Alright, alright, enough of the sappy stuff," Areum teased, but she couldn't hide the warmth in her eyes as she hugged Y/N back. "You should focus on what makes you happy, not on Heran's petty jealousy. I can just punch her right in the face if you want," Areum added, half-jokingly. If Y/N said the word, she'd grab her crutches and make Heran rethink her life choices.

"Damn, that sounds tempting. But I have something better in mind." The smile on Y/N's face told Areum that she had something up her sleeve. And later on, she stood in front of Jake's room, taking a deep breath to steady herself. She knocked on the door, and after a moment, Sunghoon opened the door. 

"Oh, Hi, Y/N." He smiled, opening the door wider for her to come in. "I heard what happened. Are you okay? Jake told me you hurt your arm."

"It's nothing, just a little scrape," Y/N replied, offering a reassuring smile. "Where's Jake? Is he okay?"

"He's asleep. I was about to leave him to rest." His hand went to the back of his neck and he smiled awkwardly. "You can actually wait here if you want. He should wake up soon." She thanked him, letting him know that Areum was alone if he'd like to spend time with her. She saw how the two looked at each other and knew there was something between them, even if they hadn't fully admitted it to each other yet.

Quietly, she made her way inside the room and stood not too far from where Jake was resting. Then she slowly walked closer before crouching right next to him, staring at how his ankle was elevated and the makeshift ice pack was still in place. 

"It must hurt." She whispered to herself as she watched him sleep. His dirty blonde hair fell slightly over his closed eyes, and his breathing was steady. Y/N found herself reaching out to brush a lock of hair from his forehead when he held her wrist, making her heart skip a beat. His fingers were warm against her skin and he opened his eyes, staring into hers with what she couldn't quite decipher.

"You do love watching me sleep." He chuckled softly, the sound making her insides flutter. She blushed, feeling caught in the act.

"I... I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Y/N swallowed nervously but didn't pull away. "Do you feel bet-" The next thing she knew was Jake pulling her closer to him. He shifted slightly to make room for her, and Y/N found herself lying beside him, their faces only inches apart.

"Now I feel better," Jake whispered, his gaze darting from her eyes to her lips. "I want to kiss you... did I just say that out loud?"

Y/N's cheeks reddened slightly as she kept eye contact with Jake, her heart pounding in her chest. "Yes, you did," She replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "And I think you should stop talking-" With that, Jake closed the remaining distance between their lips, pressing his lips gently against Y/N's. His hand slipped from her wrist to the small of her back, pulling her even closer.

Jake not only lost the dare, but now he was losing himself too. Yet he didn't mind one bit. If it was Y/N who made him lose himself, he was more than willing to let her.