36 // On His Knees

❥ KNOX'S POV

KNOX'S POV

Once claimed, always claimed.

Knox places his helmet on and starts the engine on his bike, the sound blending in with the thunderous rumbles of the other engines. One thing remains clear throughout the ride, and it's his unwavering focus on the tan vehicle ahead. Thoughts of Ghost, of the trap they've laid for him, and of all the possible outcomes don't race through his mind until they arrive at their destination.

Finn parks the car in the center of the abandoned parking lot of the Kings Square Mall. It's a sad, shadowy shell of what it once was. A cool breeze whistles through the shattered remnants of the store windows and the faint smell of mildew and rotting wood taints the air. The signs, once bright and inviting, are now broken and faded.

Perfect place to kill a man and hide his body... or multiple.

As the members begin to hide their bikes inside the dilapidated building to keep from tipping off The Jackals, Gavin and Alvin are quick to jump into action. They walk the entire area, their eyes scanning every possible hiding spot to make sure there's no unwanted presence lurking. Knox positions his bike in a dim corner inside the mall, leaving his helmet hanging on the handlebar.

Every fiber in his being is on fire with anticipation, but he doesn't let it show.

While making his way back outside, he approaches the Jackals car. It's The Fallen Angels' bait, and Knox can't ignore the tightness in his chest every time he glances at Everett who sits inside waiting for the shit to hit the fan.

A gentle tap on the window captures Finn's attention. The car door swings open and he steps out, having been expecting this moment. "Take all the time you need, brother."

Knox's response is wordless, a simple nod. Slipping into the driver's seat, he turns to face Everett. The boy's mask of bravery slips even further, and Knox can't help himself as he reaches out to entwine their fingers. Their connection is buzzing and grounding.

"You good?" Knox's voice is soft this time, seeking confirmation. It's not about the plan, the trap, or even the danger that's literally on its way. It's about him and Everett—this moment, their future, and nothing else. "There's still time for you to back out of this. Gavin will understand."

Everett shakes his head. "I'm okay. Just ready to get it over with."

"You'll be alright," Knox replies reassuringly, but all he wants right now is to snatch Everett up and take off down the road. "You don't have to get out of this car. The second Ghost shows up, we'll all be on his ass. You only need to remember—"

"To duck," Everett finishes, squeezing Knox's hand. His brown eyes are full of questions and apprehension. "But you can't duck while you're in the line of fire. So now what?"

"You know I'm not new to this, kitten." Knox lets his thumb skim over the top of Everett's hand, the gesture more soothing than he knows. "Neither are my brothers. So unless the man shows up with the goddamn U.S. Army behind him, we'll be able to take him down with minimal effort."