066

After dinner, Zi-ning followed the Du family back to their manor after bidding farewell to the Yus. General Du's accommodation was much more extensive than the mayor's, as befitting his status a general of the first rank, but its décor and furnishings were austere and lacking of the sort of showy embellishments that were favoured by officials in the capital.

She was shown to a quiet guest room located in the west quarter, located a considerable distance from the rooms belonging to the members of the family. After passing through the manor's main hall, they had to wind down a long corridor until they came to a small garden with a gourd-shaped lotus pond. The west quarter—meant for guests—was situated past that garden.

"Apologies, Miss, but we were not aware that you would be coming, hence the guest room has only been hastily prepared. If there is anything else you require, please do not hesitate to let the servants know and I shall have it seen to as soon I can," the housekeeper, a skinny woman who introduced herself as Madam Bo, said, pushing open the creaky doors to the room. Although her words were polite, there was a certain imperiousness to her tone that suggested that she did not care much for this sudden arrival to the general's manor.

She walked into the room, brushing away a few fragile silver threads of cobweb that fell upon her head. When she looked up, she saw the fine strands glistening off the corners of the door frame. Judging from the cobwebs and the layer of dust that lined the surfaces, this room had been in disuse for quite a long while.

Seeing the slight frown upon her forehead, Madam Bo said, "Like I said, we did not have time to make better preparations. As it is already late in the night, we shall have to trouble Miss Han to make do with the accommodations for now. The servants will clean the room some more in the morning. If there is nothing else, then I shall leave you to settle in." Bobbing her head in a half-hearted manner, the housekeeper quickly retreated, disappearing back towards the main compound.

Zi-ning did not mind the woman's dismissive attitude. After all, she had seen far worse in the capital. Setting down her belongings, she headed towards the window, opening it to allow the night breeze to help clear the mustiness within the room. As the latticed panels swung outwards, the panel on the left struck something hard.

"Oww!"

Surprised by the sudden cry, Zi-ning poked her head out of the window, peering towards the source of the voice.

"Did you have to push open the windows with so much force?" Zhenghuan complained. He was lying on the grass outside, massaging his nose bridge.

Zi-ning stared at him incredulously. "It wouldn't matter how much force I used if you hadn't been lurking outside like some sort of creep!" she scolded. "Besides, aren't you supposed to be one of the best exponents in the kingdom? Must be a lie, if a little window panel can knock you off your feet." Rolling her eyes, she retreated back into the room, ignoring the interloper.

Zhenghuan entered the room moments later, still looking grouchy. Without waiting for an invitation, he sat himself down at the table and poured himself some water.

"Should you be barging into my room at this hour?" Zi-ning remarked. "If your mother finds out, she will be most displeased."

"I'm only here to check to see if you're settling in okay," he replied. Swiping an index finger against the wooden surface of the table, Zhenghuan said, "Why is this room so dusty?" He looked around. "What is this? This room is even worse than what the servants have. Who brought you here?" he demanded, sounding genuinely offended at the provisions.

"Your housekeeper," Zi-ning replied honestly. "Although I'm sure Madam Bo would not do anything if it hasn't already been approved by the mistress of the house."