13

Chapter 13

Immersed in a murky black void, Evangeline's senses were enveloped in darkness. Seiko's absence left her disoriented as she attempted to navigate this strange space. Time seemed to pass, and gradually, the surroundings shifted, revealing her restrained form. Standing before her was an ethereal figure—an elf woman with flowing blond hair, elegant elongated ears, a captivating bosom, and piercing green eyes. The sheer beauty of the woman struck Evangeline, and a flicker of recognition ignited within her.

(Am I dreaming? How can she be here?) Panic pulsed through Evangeline's mind.

"No need to fret. I mean you no harm. I'm here to free you from these chains," the elf woman reassured, a warm smile gracing her lips.

Evangeline tried to speak, but her voice remained trapped within her. Suddenly, the space shifted once more, and she found herself still bound, witnessing the elf woman surrounded by hordes of demons. A fierce battle ensued, but before long, the tides turned against the elf woman. Overwhelmed, she succumbed to the relentless assault of the demonic entities. Evangeline's heart ached to intervene, to save her newfound ally, but her efforts were futile. She could only bear witness to the elf woman's tragic demise. Finally, her voice was liberated.

"No, don't leave now!" Evangeline shouted desperately through the void, yet her words echoed in vain.

Abruptly, a voice called out, jerking her awake. Opening her eyes, she found Megumi standing before her, concern etched across her face.

"Evangeline, you're alright. You were having a nightmare, so I woke you up," Megumi explained, offering a gentle pat on Evangeline's head.

"Don't worry, it was just a bad dream," Evangeline replied, scratching her head.

"Okay, but who is @@@@? You called out her name earlier," Megumi inquired curiously.

"She's just a friend. Don't worry," Evangeline reassured, attempting to dispel Megumi's curiosity.

(Sorry, but I can't reveal who she truly is. I met her in a past life.)

"I won't pry any further, but are you prepared for the practical exam?" Megumi asked, brimming with enthusiasm.

"Of course, I'm ready. But have you seen Seiko?" Evangeline inquired curiously.

"He must be off eating something. Let's go; it's about to begin," Megumi replied.

Rising from her spot, Evangeline and Megumi made their way to a vast and imposing stadium filled with several arenas. After a few minutes, a teacher stepped forward, his voice projecting from a podium.

With a snap of his fingers, a screen materialized in the air. "This screen will randomly select participants for battles. There are a total of 20 arenas, so 20 teachers will be observing. Be prepared, as you could be chosen at any moment."

As the teacher concluded his speech, the screen whirled to life, randomly choosing students. After approximately twenty minutes, Evangeline's turn arrived. She found herself pitted against Fugaki Agukare. Making her way to the designated arena, she faced a young man with vibrant green hair, light gray eyes, and a penchant for expensive attire—a clear product of privilege.

"If you're my opponent, victory is certain. How can someone who conceals half their face hope to defeat me?" Fugaki taunted, bursting into laughter.

"Don't be deceived by appearances. Wearing a mask doesn't render me weak. The last person who made that mistake paid a heavy price," Evangeline countered.

Interrupting their conversation, the teacher interjected, "If you're both ready, the match will commence. Prepare yourselves."

Assuming their combat stances, they braced for the impending clash.