112

In Zhuang Laoyan's opinion, it didn't matter who the mastermind was. What was important was this: crushing all thoughts of making a move against her. She glanced at the kneeling Noble Consort Xian and Wanyi Qian. Expressionless, she played with an orange, slender fingers streaking across its glossy skin, leaving behind ugly marks.

Noticing her action, Feng Jin came to the conclusion that she felt afraid. His gaze when looking at Wanyi Qian grew even more severe. "We want to know when you started fostering these thoughts." He browsed through the medicinal books that had been presented to him. On top was a harmful prescription.

"Chinese marlow seeds, safflower, Chinese blister beetles, centipedes, dried fruit of immature trifoliate oranges, Shengnan tubers..." As Feng Jin read through each medicinal ingredient, the expressions of the imperial physicians in the room changed more and more. If such a drug was taken orally, it would cause the drinker to immediately fall half dead. And of course, the fetus would die. But if this drug was placed in the room, nothing would happen should Zhuang Laoyan stay in said room for a short period. Long-term exposure, on the other hand, was a different story. Even if the child was born, they would most likely be disabled. Such a scheme truly proved vicious.

Before the imperial physicians could even finish sighing with emotion, they heard the emperor say to them this:

"Tell Us. If no one discovered this tainted soil, what would have happened?"

For a moment, they looked at each other in dismay. In the end, they shifted their gazes to Imperial Physician Mao. He was a highly-skilled practitioner of gynecology, and Her Highness Consort Zhao always had him examine her pulse. They couldn't go wrong with him being the one to respond.

"Reporting to Your Majesty, such a drug can cause an abortion. Chinese blister beetles and centipedes are highly toxic. Frail pregnant women must absolutely avoid them. Although Chinese marlow seeds aren't poisonous, they can induce labor." Imperial Physician Mao felt helpless. He could only step forward and kowtow. "If such things were in contact with Her Highness Consort Zhao for a long period, even if we could preserve the fetus, the child would be extremely disabled once born."

"What a good experienced and knowledgeable Wanyi Qian." Feng Jin gripped the book in his hand so hard that a sound of his action rang out. Quite a while later, he threw the book in front of Wanyi Qian, staring at her with cold, apathetic eyes. "There is actually such an ugly heart hidden under this beautiful face. We really were mistaken about you."

The corners of Wanyi Qian's lips twitched, yet she was unable to say anything. Indeed, she had been the one behind this scheme. Never had she imagined it to go so smoothly. The only unfortunate thing was that someone discovered the tainted soil after it had already entered Xihe Palace.

The empress sat there in disbelief. Why would Wanyi Qian do such a thing? She did not have any children, so whether or not Zhuang Laoyan did shouldn't matter to her. Even if Zhuang Laoyan's child died, what benefits did that bring Wanyi Qian?

"Wanyi Qian, why did you do this?" The empress frowned. "Don't you know the punishment for conspiring to murder an imperial prince?"

"This concubine naturally does." Wanyi Qian sneered. "Of all the women in the imperial harem, it's not just me who wants that child gone. Perhaps even you do, Empress."

"Shut up!" In one swift motion, Feng Jin swept his cup off the table, sending it flying through the air at Wanyi Qian. It smashed against her forehead, leaving behind a gash. Drenched in tea, she cut an extremely miserable figure.

Feng Jin had once heard that fetuses had souls. If they heard people say they were not welcome in the world, the fetuses might truly not be born. Furious, he jabbed a finger toward Wanyi Qian. "The whole world awaits Our child. It's a malicious woman like you that has no use existing!"