114

The harem had exploded. It seemed that after the start of the new year, so many things had occurred, each more serious than the last. It was to the point that the matters concerning Noble Consort Shu were no longer considered significant. After all, even the empress' paternal family had their estate searched through and some property seized. Compared to that, what was a noble consort even worth?

When such news entered Zhuang Laoyan's ears, she was not one bit surprised. She stroked her swollen abdomen, features tranquil to an immense degree, as if instead of hearing that the estate of the empress' paternal family had been searched through and seized, what she heard was that a family had merely lost a chicken.

"Your Highness, this slave has brought what your honored self wanted," said Fu Bao after rushing into the room, holding a small box.

Zhuang Laoyan opened it. Within lay a sachet with the character for "good fortune" embroidered onto it. Old Mistress Zhuang had personally given this to this body's original owner. To bless her to be safe and sound, to have riches and honor, to have good luck.

The moment Yunxi had laid eyes on this wooden box, she knew her master missed her family. Originally, Old Mistress Zhuang was supposed to enter the palace for a visit a few days ago. But her master pushed the meeting back to a later date. It wasn't easy for Old Mistress Zhuang to come here today. Who would have imagined that news regarding the Zhao family's downfall would ring out? Such a matter was even more significant than what had happened to Noble Consort Shu's family. It truly made things difficult for her master.

"Your Highness, Old Mistress Zhuang and Mistress Zhuang are asking for an audience," said Tingzhu, entering the room. Her face carried a smile.

Zhuang Laoyan handed the box over to Yunxi. After Yunxi had stored it away, she said, "Invite them in quickly."

Old Mistress Zhuang brought her daughter-in-law into the room with her. She dared not look around, taking the initiative in saluting Zhuang Laoyan. Tingzhu and Yunxi supported her, stopping her from doing so.

"Mother and Sister-in-law need not be so polite. Quickly take a seat," said Zhuang Laoyan, presenting them each with one. Noticing how very reserved the two of them acted, she added, "The servants in this room are very loyal. Mother need not restrain yourself too much."

It was at this moment that Old Mistress Zhuang raised her head. She examined Zhuang Laoyan quite a few times. Noticed that her complexion was decent. "Seeing Your Highness well makes this old one relieved. Will the fetus soon be nine months in development?"

"It's already been a full nine months." A smile graced Zhuang Laoyan's lips. When she saw Yunxi carrying some tea over, she said, "Have a taste of this year's tributary mushu dahongpao. Since I am pregnant right now, I can't drink tea. If Mother and Sister-in-law likes this, take the tea home."

Old Mistress Zhuang took a sip. Smiled. "Mushu dahongpao truly is a rare and precious tea. Although Your Highness cannot have some right now, it's better to keep it for guests. How could we take some away?"

Zhuang Laoyan knew that Old Mistress Zhuang was prudent in her conduct. She said, "Since that's the case, Mother can bring some bitan piaoxue home. This type of tea isn't considered precious, but I remember that you and Father are fond of it."

This time, Old Mistress Zhuang did not decline her offer. As long as one had the money, one could purchase bitan piaoxue, unlike mushu dahongpao, a tea in which only a few catties could be produced per year. How could they dare to use such a tea?

"I heard that Sister-in-law gave birth to a son last year. It's a pity that I was already in the palace at that time and could not congratulate you in person. May Big Brother and Sister-in-law not take offense." Zhuang Laoyan noticed Mistress Zhuang's extremely docile and virtuous appearance, causing her tone to grow more gentle as she said, "I've prepared some playthings for my nephew. Please do not disdain them, Sister-in-law."