117: the end

Carrying her infant, Zhuang Laoyan turned her head and caught sight of the emperor coming over in large strides. On his body, court robes picturing a five-taloned dragon soaring through the skies. She stepped forward and performed a slight curtsy. "This concubine pays respects to the emperor."

"You all may rise." Feng Jin made his way before Zhuang Laoyan, taking the infant from her arms. He gazed at his son, whose eyes had already opened and whose skin had grown fair and tender. A smile slid its way across his lips. "Start the banquet."

An auspicious lady received the infant from the emperor's hands, auspicious remarks flowing from her mouth. Then, she took a piece of red string from a tray and tied it to the baby's ankle. To represent interweaving good fortune into his body. From then on, the infant would be blessed with great luck.

Following that, Old Mistress Zhuang received Fourth Prince from the auspicious lady's hands. She bowed to heaven and earth. Prayed for blessings for him. She carried him outside of the palace hall and took three steps, before returning. Afterward, Old Mistress Zhuang gave Fourth Prince to Zhuang Laoyan, smiling. "Your Highness Consort Zhao, Fourth Prince will definitely be blessed with good luck and longevity. May Your Highness treat him well."

This action represented the maternal family praying for their grandchild. Although the members of the imperial clan, as per their status, did not have to follow these procedures, since they had invited Old Mistress Zhuang to follow said procedure, it was evident that the emperor treasured and respected Consort Zhao.

"Rest assured, Mother. I will definitely do him well." Zhuang Laoyan held her infant, solemn. She rose to her feet to perform a curtsy toward Old Mistress Zhuang. "Thank you, Mother."

Old Mistress Zhuang hurried to stop her from curtsying. After returning half a salute, she retreated to the side with red eyes. The woman before her was no longer just her daughter; she was Jiuzhou Country's Consort Zhao. Thus, she could not accept her curtsy.

From the tray held in Gao Dezhong's hands, Feng Jin picked up a little cloak with the two characters "Fushou" embroidered onto it. Then he carefully draped it over Fourth Prince's body. Extending a hand, Feng Jin poked his little forehead. "It's cold. Bring the child to the rear palace hall." This was the father giving blessings to his child. Ordinary families would personally drape a cloak, with the character for fortune, over their children. But in the emperor's immediate family, there were many imperial princes who did not receive this privilege. At the very least, the previous three imperial princes did not have this honor.

The womenfolk present all saw this clearly: This Fourth Prince would be extremely fortunate.

Zhuang Laoyan handed over her baby to the wet nurse. She raised her head and gazed at the man before her. He was handsome, with a tall and slender body, possessing advantages other men did not. However, this man was the emperor. A man that could have hundreds of women. The emperor she both could not love and was afraid to love.

Despite this, the corners of her lips tilted upward, revealing a loving smile akin to a flower. As if there were only him in this world, as if no one else mattered. As if she were blind to everyone else.

In a flash, he bowed his head. Their gazes met. Her eyes brimmed with deep emotion, and his were clear, black and white in sharp contrast. It made it difficult for others to tell just who loved whom, just who was lying to whom.

Expression neutral, Feng Jin gazed at this woman. Slowly, he turned around. Made for the seat of honor and sat down. Then he cast a glance at Gao Dezhong.

"This imperial edict shall be announced to the world, so that all can know of it: Old Mistress Zhuang has raised a good daughter, able and virtuous, bringing Us much joy. Thus, Miss Zhuang's promotion to Consort Zhao..."