Night of celebration

You stood at the tip of the curb, the street filled with its people in celebration of their liberation.

You smile watching the women dance with their families, wishing you could see yours once more.

The night sky filled with fireworks, the booms drowning out the laugher. Your thoughts filled with Simon.. the man you got to know behind the mask, quite literally the love of your life.

You reach for your phone to take a picture to send to him. "He'd love to see this." You thought to yourself.

Rising the phone to the sky snapping a picture, looking it over before pressing send.

A notification crosses your screen from Simon. A picture of you standing against the curb with your phone raised to the sky.

Your body twists to the view behind you. Simon stood with his skull mask walking up next to you.

"What are you doing here?" You ask with a wide smile.

"Couldn't let you have all the fun Y/N." The booms almost drowning out his voice.

The air becoming misty from all the fireworks, the night sky filled with bright colors. The smell of burnt paper surrounding you both.

Simon places his arm around your shoulder pulling you closer so he could plant a gentle kiss on your forehead.

"Happy anniversary love." He whispered in your ear.

"Happy anniversary baby." You turn your head to look up at him. The fact he came all this way warmed your heart.

"Come on.. everyone is waiting for us." He gently  removed his arm from your shoulder, turning and walking off. His body fading into the mist

Your imagination playing a cruel trick on you.
Your eyes filling with tears, a deep sting in your heart wishing he was still here with you.

You press send on the picture you took, with a message.

"Happy anniversary baby.. I wish you were still here with me."

"I love you."

"Send message failure"