Chapter 47

Ah! What a relief!

As I'd thought, I shouldn't have agreed to come to the crown prince's crowded birthday party.

I sat on the grass and leaned against a tree in the garden behind the castle.

My eyes, which I was about to close, opened again when a shrill voice entered my eardrums.

"Rey! Rey! Guess what I found!"

Arkanio Angelos, my 10-year-old childhood friend, ran towards me, carrying a small ruby earring.

"Arka, have you developed a hobby of stealing now?" I said suspiciously.

Arka frowned and sat next to me. "You're so cruel, Rey! I told you I found it! Hmph!"

"Even so, you shouldn't have taken it, let alone taken it outside. The person who had it must be looking for it now."

"Well... I wanted to return it, so I waited there for a while. But the owner didn't show up, so I just took it. I thought maybe my dog would like it."

"Honest-"

"Hey, you!" A voice distracted me and Arka.

The owner of that voice is a girl with lavender hair tied in a bun and a dress styled like an adult.

The girl approached with her chin raised, making her look arrogant.

"Rey, do you know that child?" Arka whispered- to be precise, he thought he whispered.

"Who are you calling a child?! I'm referring to you, redhead!" She pointed hard at Arka's chest several times, making him stumble backward.

I held the girl's thin wrist.

Is this girl eating properly?

"How dare you hold my hand." She smacked my hand hard, making me fall. She then patted the part of the hand I was holding.

"Rey! Are you okay?!" Arka lifted me and checked the abrasions on my arms.

He then looked at the girl angrily, making the girl a little intimidated.

"Hey! You have to apologize!"

"Why should I? All of this was your fault."

"What do you mean?! You started first! Don't let me use violence on a woman, especially a girl like you." Arka raised his fist in front of the girl's face to scare her.

The girl crossed her arms and looked at Arkanio lightly, even though her legs now seemed shaking.

"That's it, stop it." I turned Arka back and looked at the girl. "Did Arka do something wrong to you?"

"That brat is a thief! He stole my favorite earring!" The girl pointed to her left ear, which was not wearing an earring.

"Hey! I found it! I never steal! Why do you think I would steal useless earring like this?!" Arka slammed the earring into the front of the girl's leg, causing it to split in two.

The girl was shocked and looked at Arka angrily. Tears piled up at the corners of her eyes without the intention of falling.

"You are... too much." She kicked her broken earring at Arka, then walked away with hasty steps.

I took the fragment and then looked at Arka.

"I... didn't mean to break it..."

"Sigh... it's alright. What happened has happened. There's no need to fret over it. If you want to make amends, you should find a way to fix this mess."