Chapter 2: Gaerra

Authors Note:

If you enjoy this story, please create an account to follow, vote, and comment!

Chapter updates will occur on Tuesday every two weeks, with the next scheduled for October 31, 2023.

I will be providing updates and announcements via discord. If you are well-versed in writing and military equipment/tactics, please consider joining the server. I could always use extra feedback.

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD

If you enjoy my work, please consider supporting me by using this Webull referral code to get up to 12 free stocks (after an initial deposit of at least $1), or by becoming a Patron!

Webull: https://a.webull.com/gGli6zkc37slwnl0O8

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

——

Vicinity of the Gateway, Unknown Planet

November 3, 2024

As Henry stepped into the circle, electricity seemed to dance along his skin. The sensation faded as red hues dimmed, the circles disappearing into the air. He locked eyes with the robed figure, whose previously taut gaze softened. The man's smile seemed to border more on excited curiosity rather than just plain friendliness.

"Ah, your timely arrival, and the strength you and your companions displayed against those malevolent beasts – these are blessings for which I must express gratitude," the archmage began. His voice carried a slightly lilting tone, words far too articulate and surprisingly, in English.

Henry's eyebrows twitched slightly in surprise. He was familiar with the concept of universal translators from various shows; evidently, the world beyond the gate was no stranger to it. "This... magic you've cast, it allows us to understand each other's speech?"

The archmage's eyes shimmered with mirth, "Indeed, you have activated the Circle of Understanding. Do you find this agreeable?"

Henry relaxed, "It's surprising but very useful. Before we proceed, did any of your men sustain injuries during the attack? We have medics on standby who can assist."

The archmage glanced back, "Thankfully, the majority are unharmed and the rest are already under the care of our healers, but your offer is appreciated. And so, may I know who has graced us with such timely intervention?"

Henry considered shaking the archmage's hand, before settling on a quick salute. "I'm Captain Henry Donnager from the United States of America, planet Earth. We – come in peace." He cringed as the clichéd words rolled off his tongue, but he had to admit, it did sound fitting.

"A captain – a rank of weight and responsibility, no doubt. I am Kelmithus ad Helis of the Sonaran Federation, of the realm of Gaerra. I am an archmage and scholar amidst these ancient ruins, and perhaps, today, a herald to a new epoch."

He extended his hand, palm open and fingers slightly curled – a universal invitation across cultures, Henry figured. He mirrored the gesture with his gloved hand, finding Kelmithus' grip firm, yet not imposing.

"A herald to a new epoch, you say?" Henry raised an eyebrow, "So then, you're authorized to kickstart diplomatic ties between our worlds?"

Kelmithus gave a hearty laugh as he released Henry's hand, his fingers briefly brushing a pendant at his chest. "The very act of our meeting, Captain, serves as an initiation of sorts. I can mediate, but let us proceed cautiously; the landscape is uncharted for both of us."