Chapter 14: GB-2

Author's Note:

Manifest Fantasy manga/comic is now in the works! Still just setting up the foundation so it might take a while, but I think I've found an artist I can work with. Attached is an example (not related to any particular scene) of what the manga might look like if I continue working with this artist. Feel free to join the discord to stay tuned for updates! Early access content and drafts will be available exclusively for Patrons. If you'd like to support the development of the manga and see WIP pages, please consider becoming a Patron.

 If you'd like to support the development of the manga and see WIP pages, please consider becoming a Patron

If you haven't done so already, please create an account to follow and support the story!

READ 2 WEEKS AHEAD: Chapter 15 is now available for Tier 2 Manifest Fantasy Patrons and higher!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD

– –

A high-pitched whine pierced the air as the TOW missile streaked toward its target: the Sentinel Lindwyrm. Henry watched through the CROWS display as the missile closed the distance, his finger hovering over the trigger for follow-up shots on any new weak spots.

Impact. The warhead detonated against the Lindwyrm's head and neck in a blinding flash, the overpressure wave rippling through the surrounding fog. The Lindwyrm shrieked, the sound deafening even through their ear protection. Smoke billowed from the blast zone, mixing with fog and dirt.

The creature thrashed its head, tossing dark blood into the environment as it staggered back toward the treeline and disappeared behind the debris. Chunks of flesh and shattered scales rained down, but Henry couldn't tell if it was dead or not. By all accounts, it should be – the TOW missile was a weapon capable of taking out IFVs, and there was no way the Lindwyrm could've survived a direct hit to the head, could it?

"Sera, wind," Henry called out.

Without a word, Sera acknowledged and blew away the smoke with a strong gale. The area where the beast once stood was empty, save for the blood and viscera on the clearing grounds. The Lindwyrm bellowed again, the guttural sound echoing from the forest.

"Lost visual on target. It retreated back into the forest," Henry said.

The radio crackled with Ryan's voice, "Copy, reloading. Though I reckon it ain't gonna fall for the same trick twice."

Ron looked up at the rearview mirror. "Think it ran for good?"

It wasn't a question Henry could readily answer, even with what he'd learned about the Sentinel Lindwyrm. They were a territorial species, but also incredibly intelligent. The TOW had hit the damn thing right in the head and neck, a solid hit that should've put it down for good. Sure, it could've run, but he knew better than to assume the fight was over just because of one lucky shot.