Sixteen

As soon as the elevator doors scrape open, the four detect the blaring music and laughter resonating along the hallway. The overpowering scent of liquor, food, and possibly sweat clings to the walls, making Theodore half-expect someone to come knocking on Denise's door to complain.

Jacob's face crumples as they draw closer to the source of the noise.

"You didn't have to come, you know," Theodore tells him, fully aware of Jacob's propensity for aloofness.

"I know."

"Then why?"

"Do you need to ask?"

"It'll be nice to make friends with the others," Austin interjects, giving Theodore a moment to steady his nerves. Jacob's candidness still catches him off guard.

"Sure. But I'm cool with just us," Jacob mumbles, making Austin and Stella feel giddy.

"Aw, that's sweet!" Stella squeals.

A grin breaks across Theodore's lips. Jacob comes across as taciturn, but he tends to wear his heart on his sleeve.

"It's here," Austin says, then he knocks on the door three times before it whirs open.

The sight gives Theodore goosebumps.

Pizza boxes, food crumbs, and red cups are strewn everywhere—on the floor, on the couch, even on the sink. A mix of boys and girls engage in a raucous game of beer pong on a long dining table, a separate group of guys from a different block puff away on the balcony, and yet another bunch, familiar as the front-row sitters from every class, is huddled around an old movie. Theodore can't fathom how they manage to follow the movie's plot amid the chaos and clutter.

Jacob leans into him and hums, "You're fidgety. You're itching to vacuum, aren't you?"

"Shut up."

"Hey!" Denise appears from the kitchen. "You're late!"

It is only 6:30 PM.

"Sorry, got stuck in traffic," Stella explains. "Wow. It's pretty wild here."

"Yeah, it got a little wild," Denise responds, then sidles up next to Jacob, creating a divide between him and Theodore. Theodore pretends not to be bothered and continues scanning the room. The amount of filth is killing him.

"Glad you could come, Jacob."

"Uh, yeah."

"Uh, yeah," Jacob replies, allowing her to grasp his wrist as if they're old friends. While this irks him slightly, he conceals it well. He's never been concerned with appearances, but lately, he's been trying to socialize more. The last thing he wants is to embarrass his companions and spoil their fun.

"Let's go. I'll show you where the food is. We have so much."

"Yeah, right," Theodore whines as he watches Denise pull Jacob away with her. "Obviously."

Theodore is officially the one who regrets coming to that poor excuse of a party.

Stella pats his shoulder. "Are you annoyed because of the mess or...?"

Theodore bares his teeth.

"Calm down. Just curious..."

"Where's Austin?"

Stella jerks her head in the direction of the students playing beer pong. Austin has blended in perfectly.

"Let's get something to eat," Stella proposes and forcefully yanks Theodore's arm to the dining area.

******

Theodore takes a bite of his pepperoni pizza, holding a bottle of beer in one hand, and engages in polite small talk with the others about their classes. He nods and chuckles at appropriate moments, all while keeping an eye on Austin through his peripheral vision, pleased to see that he is thoroughly enjoying himself.