Chapter 9

Mark's phone shattered the silence of the night, jolting him awake. He squinted at the screen – Emily. A knot tightened in his stomach.

"Hello?" His voice was tinged with a mix of concern and confusion.

"Mark, can you come get me? I'm at the police station," Emily's voice quivered.

His heart skipped a beat. "What happened? Are you okay?"

We'll talk in the car. Just come, please," she urged, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Alright, I'm on my way," Mark said, already throwing off the covers. He dressed hurriedly, his mind a whirlpool of questions and dread.

The drive to the police station was a blur. When he saw Emily emerge from the building, her face ashen and eyes rimmed red, he felt a mix of relief and foreboding. She looked like she'd been through hell, but she was free.

"Hey," he greeted softly as she slid into the car.

"Hey," she returned, her voice tinged with a fatigue that seemed to reach into her soul, "Thanks for coming."

"Of course," he said, pulling away from the curb. "So, what's going on?"

Emily sighed; her gaze fixed on the passing scenery. "I woke up in the woods, next to a dead body. The police were there almost immediately. They questioned me."

Mark's grip on the steering wheel tightened involuntarily. "Jesus, Emily. Are you serious?"

"Dead serious," she said, her eyes finally meeting his. "They let me go, but I'm far from off the hook."

As they entered their home, the atmosphere was thick, almost palpable. The space that once symbolized comfort and love now felt like a stage set for a grim drama. The dim lighting cast shadows that seemed to dance mockingly on the walls.

They settled on the couch, a chasm of unspoken words and doubts between them. Mark studied Emily's face, her features drawn, her eyes haunted. He wanted to bridge the gap, to offer some solace, but a nagging question held him back.

"You believe me, right?" Emily finally broke the silence, her voice tinged with a desperation that made his heart ache.

Mark hesitated, his eyes searching hers. "I want to, Em. God, I want to. But this is... it's a lot."

Emily's eyes dropped, her hand wringing nervously in her lap. "I know it's overwhelming. But I need you, Mark. I need you to believe in me."

Mark reached out, his fingers lightly touching hers. "I'm here, Emily. But understand, this is hard for me too."

As he spoke, a sense of unease settled over him. He wanted to stand by her, but the seeds of doubt had been sown, and they were starting to sprout.