Chapter one

Chapter one ~ Yo, Bitch!

————————————

"Macy,"  I called out to my trusty robot,"Call Addison."

The robotic voice responded, "Calling Addison."

Macy, my beloved robotic companion, was a thoughtful gift from my science enthusiast father, Dr Kolton Richards. My father's love for his family was undeniable but it was always often overshadowed by his unwavering dedication to his scientific pursuits and the countless hours spent in his laboratory. Dad had always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe, and his relentless quest for knowledge had led him to become a renowned scientist in his field. But this same relentless pursuit of knowledge had also unintentionally distanced him from his family. He was so immersed in his work that he always struggled to express his affection and care in the way we yearned for.

My mother, Laura Kolton Richards, on the other hand, was a lost cause. Her job as an attorney also kept her away from her family. A lot more than dad. She was a high-achiever in her own right, who was always consumed by the demands of her career, She rarely had the opportunity to be present for family dinners, school events, or the everyday moments that help shape family connections. Pretty sure my siblings and I had gotten used to it.
My siblings no longer cared because with both my parents gone, they were allowed to do what ever they wanted. To say, we practically raised ourselves in our own way we deemed fit, while my parents just produced the money.

The day of my birthday, two months ago, was the day Macy arrived at my doorstep in a sleek package with a note, which read, "For my brilliant daughter, Ava, on her special day. Let Macy be your companion and helper. Ps: I'm sorry for my absence Avalina. Love, dad." Tears filled my eyes. My dad, tried to use the sophisticated robot, to apologize for his shortcomings. My father hadn't personally visited for years but he called when he had the chance.  I wasn't okay with all of these but I loved him. The gift was both an apology and an expression of his love, delivered in a way only a science enthusiast father could conceive.

One look at Macy, I knew I couldn't stay angry with him forever. She was literally so cute! My heart swelled with a mixture of gratitude, happiness, and understanding. This was the only way dad knew how to show his affection even though he still struggled to express it in the traditional sense.

After three rings, Addison's voice crackled through the phone, "Yo, Bitch! What's up?"

I chuckled at her usual energetic greeting. "Chirpy much?" I could feel my best friend roll her eyes "I'm in dire need of some coffee. Mind if I crash at your place? Pick me up from Nick 'n Joe Breakfast."

Addison, with her signature sass, replied, "Sure thing, babes. You're always welcome. And girl, you really need to get out more. I was at one of Tobias wild party last night!"

I couldn't help but sigh, a twinge of envy in my voice, "You and your parties, Adds, Meanwhile, I'm here chained to my desk trying to craft a masterpiece."

Addison's laughter on the other end of the line was infectious. "Well, we can't all be literary geniuses, can we?"

I playfully lamented, "Well, you aren't the one David's trying to eliminate."

"Hot David?" Addison inquired mischievously.

I rolled my eyes at her. "Slut"

"C'mon Ava," Addison persisted. She's been trying to get me to agree with her on this, ever since I took her to David's office, she's been on and on about how hot he was and how she was going to lick his abs and...eww...you do not want to know the details "You gotta admit it, David is one hot doughnut"