2

What was readily apparent about Commodus was the sand, typically breaking from the sand was rock. The hue of the sand was red, ranging from brilliant scarlet or a burnt umber. The lighter shades were present where the soil was thinner or loose, such as the sand along the top of residual boulders or upon the mountains to the east, giving the orange rocks a distinctly bloody look. The darker shades of umber stretched out, forming the arid seas. The only other contrast that suggested any plant growth on the planet were either the olive drab needle shrubs or the occasional multi-armed cacti. Neither were anything a non-native wanted to approach, their exteriors were covered in spines or points that could cut through synthetic cloth and impale a man.

Karl noted the colors out in the sea and then looked back upon the rock gardens provided by the colony board. The small flat stones were bone white and capable of reflecting the harsh sun's rays off their surface and striking the eyes of the unwary. Each unit was allotted two square spaces where the rocks were placed. It was probably some colonial organizer's idea of contrast, to help take the eyes off of something that was not a shade of red, orange, or gray. When the sands kicked up, a light dusting of red powder covered the stones. Colonists were never ones to wash their own yards, they waited for the colonial authority to step in and take care of it. The process happened every once in a while when The Heights' administration decided it was time to present a clean show to some off-world investment.

Karl glanced at the stones for a brief moment before deactivating the shield and climbing aboard the hovercraft. He was careful to wear gloves. When the car was under the sun, its frame was dangerously hot. He avoided as much contact as he could with the vehicle, but the gloves were an insurance in case anything grazed the frame until he could sit down and re-engage the shielding. When the shield was in place and the temperature rapidly cooled, Jenkins removed his gloves.

Tangiers did not need gloves to climb aboard, the thick padding of fur protected his finger from mild exposure to the heat. Tangiers was not impervious to the heat, it would burn if he just left his hand on the frame, but Tangiers could climb aboard without trouble. Once Tangiers was seated he had his arms across the chest and the hovercraft's repulsor engines thrummed to life.

"She's after me to get new work," Tangiers said as he looked out the window back towards his house. He relaxed as cool air pumped into the vehicle. Unlike Jenkins, Tangiers was born in the Longlegs Sector. He was used to the arid temperatures of the planets that dotted the star system, but he still liked cool air.

"Why don't you?" Karl asked, "Maybe be a stevedore. Lift that crate of ore, lift that bale of dreamfoil." Karl smirked as he looked ahead. He could look anywhere, the craft's autopilot would take care of the trip towards the city.

"None of those jobs pay well. I could work till my hands bled and my fur fell off and I'd still be in debt," Tangiers said. He growled after he spoke, again revealing a set of sharp canines. Tigrans were known to be a clever sort. They were also widely known for being adroit and feared for the set of retractable claws, one for each finger, that could make their hands slashing weapons. Their jaws were capable of tearing a man's jugular out.

Karl offered a sympathetic tone, "It could be worse, bud. You could be like this Tular Fek. He owes Timon 20,000 credits in gambling debts. How does a senior spaceport loader accrue those kinds of debts and not receive a warning or something... it's a little odd to me," Karl said.

"Timon wants examples made, that's why," Tangier said, "I think he likes it when the targets are non-Humans."

Karl noted Tangiers looking at him with narrowed eyes. Karl did put some stock into that theory. Though it was a kindness of their boss, Timon Partha, that it was Karl and Tangiers that were assigned to handle the debt. The Scorpion Syndicate, also known as the Scorpions, had a number of associates besides the pair, the ones that collected debts or gave out warnings ranging from soft, threatening touches to true leg breakers and plexus punchers.