15

It took another half-hour for Karl's cab to circle back to the Starport's lot where Karl's hovercar was parked. Achim was more brazen about his action, pulling the bike at a space that was diagonal from the car, in full view of Jenkins who had a hand tucked inside his duster when Achim stepped away from the idling bike and walked towards the end of his space.

"What the hell?" Karl asked.

Achim looked both directions to make sure they were alone before raising his hands, "We need to get out of here and go somewhere to talk."

"What are you doing out here?" Karl asked in a vexed tone and narrowed eyes, "And why were you following me earlier?"

"I was on my own when I first started to shadow you today. When we got to the northside, the tower you were parked in front of," Achim said.

"I knew that was you," Karl said, "You should have held off using the can until I pulled away. Not that it matters, I already made you while I was first driving around."

"Karl, Lono is dead," Achim cut through Karl's self-satisfaction and waited for Karl to take in the news. When Karl said nothing, appearing as if he was trying to figure out the gag, Achim continued: "I was following you on my own, and when I went inside, thinking you were about to go in yourself, Lono appeared from the other side of the building. There is a tracker in your car trunk, and he used it in hopes of ambushing you. He wanted my help to ambush you, and when he threatened me, I decided to stick my neck out for you. Is that enough right now to get off the street and talk with me?"

Karl looked Achim in the eye, seeing the young man's serious expression, not a smirk or any hint of mirth. Karl nodded and said, "Yeah, I guess that's enough for the moment. You remember the Starlight Lounge from last night?"

"How can I forget?" Achim asked.

"Then meet me there," Karl broke away and was powering his car to get as mobile as possible, just in case this was a ruse and Achim was about to walk up to put one in his guts. It could still have been a trick, Karl warned himself, but the gravity in Achim's eyes were too sincere coupled with the kid's relative youth and inexperience to be anything but genuine to Karl. Looking at the rear camera, Karl saw Achim sprint to his bike and pull away first. Karl took the long way, rounding his tower before stopping in the same lot he used the night before. Achim's bike was in the parking lot along with a dozen over hover vehicles that Karl did not recognize.

Achim had arrived first and nearly bumped into a passing Saurian that was previously occupying the same seat that he had used the night before last. Achim saw the same ginger haired woman that had served Karl last time, noting one of the booths she was working in, Achim took a seat in the one closest to the corner and away from any windows. Karl slipped through the crowd and came to sit across from Achim.

"Alright, let's talk," Karl said.

"You're going to want to call Tangiers first," Achim said before pausing. He had ordered sweet cacti cider from the red head. Karl drank from the bottle service and offered a brief glance in Brandi's wake that Achim noted a sense of longing.

"That's where Mohr is, huh? Looking to shoot Tangiers?" Karl said when he turned back.

Achim nodded and said, "Go ahead and call him, I can wait."

"Get us another round, I need to use the restroom," Achim showed his datapad before he slipped out of the booth.

Achim waved at Brandi with a half-finished glass of cider, "Two more drinks for me and my friend."

"Surprised to see a couple of Scorpions so early in the day," Brandi said, "Slow day shaking people down?"

"Today was my off-day when I bumped into Karl," Achim said. He appreciated Brandi's pretty smile as she took down the order on her pad, "No food?"