#50 Infiltration

Naruto and Fuu sat on a tree, eating their dinner. It had been a few days since the fight on the border to the land of wind.

Apparently it had been pure coincidence that the squad had the best sensor from Konoha, which had been the only reason why they even knew that they were hiding their chakra. Of course, once that was found out the sensor had focused on Naruto's chakra and was surprised to find Kurama's presence. That had sealed their decision and they had attacked.

The memories of the man had given them quite a lot of information, reassuring Naruto that there had been no message sent to anyone about who the squad had encountered, as well as giving them insights into the defenses of Konoha and the surrounding lands.

From that information the pair had formulated a plan to get to the group that was behind the contract on their heads. It seemed that Homura Mitokado was not alone in this. There was at least one more person that could make decisions. However no one knew who that was.

Luckily for Naruto and Fuu, there was a small area where, because of a conflict with Otogakure, the patrols were less frequent than usual. That was the area the pair was about to enter. An hour more and they would leave the land of rivers and enter the land of fire, the land of their enemy.

They had used the time they traveled to also improve their skills and defenses a bit. Naruto had made a bunch of shadow clones every time they were moving to learn about the seals that the Anbu had known, so that they could hopefully improve their suppression seals and maybe find a way out of any restriction seals that Konoha could offer. Fuu had also made a few clones, although hers mostly worked on her chakra control, trying to get her usage of chakra on the larger jutsu under control.

Naruto smiled as he felt Fuu lean against his shoulder, the sun slowly disappearing behind the horizon.

"Are you ready?" She asked, her eyes following the rays of light that were still shining red in the sky.

"Yes." Naruto replied, his mind focusing and the thoughts of everything but their mission disappearing.

"Good." Fuu smiled, using her hand to slightly turn his head and giving him a quick kiss.

"Enemy territory. Be careful." She warned. Both knew that a slip in the land of fire or even Konoha itself could end deadly. They had agreed to stop if the danger would be too great.

"Enemy territory." Naruto replied, the phrase signaling that both of their mindsets were on the mission and that both were conscious that they could be attacked without any warning.

"Let's go." He said, jumping from the tree.

When the sky was already brightening, they had gotten quite far into the territory of the fire daimyo, without any patrols or guards crossing their path. Looking over the area, they were beginning to enter the thick forests that surrounded Konoha. There would be more patrols and more squads that were moving around now.

Steeling their minds they resumed their journey, making their way through the forest at high speed. Surprisingly they didn't encounter anyone for quite a long time.

They could already see the light emitted by the village when they stopped. The sun had again set and both were getting a bit tired.

Naruto smiled at Fuu as they made their way into the small cave they had found. It would give them enough shelter to let them catch a bit of sleep, something both knew was not going to happen again in the near future.

Within the cave the pair found a small corner where they could easily set up their sleeping bags. Naruto made a pair of clones, posting them on the entrance of the cave disguised as small rocks before giving Fuu a quick kiss and crawling into his own bag.