Of Banquets and Beguilers

The evening's upcoming event weighed heavy against Renāna's spirit, the desire to be the light of her people unrelenting as always, while harboring such a strategy of treason, an ambivalence settled over her that drove the Light Expanse Harmonian to her Still Room.

I am to lead these people, MESHELKAAH. She symbolled, her face against the ground, the words ineligible to anyone outside of her room. Is my decision wrong? Obeying the council is what you called me to do, but surely obedience is not greater than ensuring the preservation of their lives. Am I wrong?

The question lingered, ringing in her mind like the pester of the repeated call of a bird at sunrise. This was their educatedly embedded rule: To follow their instruction and view it as all-encompassing, never incorrect, and always absolute law. Still, time was running out, and it seemed the question was too significant to keep silent, even if it meant sacrifice. Even if it meant betrayal.

A sudden knock on the entry to her Still Room caused Renana to rise, instantly aware of who would be so bold as to interrupt a time of deep reflection and meditation. Rising to greet him, Renāna opened the door, Ishrāb immediately wiping her tear-stained face. Even under duress, you are still the most beautiful woman I have ever known.

As the words hovered between them, Renāna's stress dissipated enough to bring a soft smile to her lips. Are you here to escort me? Renāna signed, already aware of the answer, but looking for a change of subject.

With a simple nod, Ishrab glanced at Renāna's dress. Nude in color, sleeves to her elbows trimmed with lace, and a snug bodice. Traditional, conservative, refraining from any attention seeking attire, just as the Layvee tribe commanded.

Is this newly sewn? Israb inquired, impressed when she'd told him yes. It's lovely.

She dismissed the compliment. Save it for Henāka. She henmed it.

As they made their way down the winding bridge- a slight breeze causing the petals of the vines to blow around in a beatiful array of color- Ishrāb felt Renāna's hand shake, her grip tightening around his arm. His steps paused, Renāna's eyes meeting his with impatience. In spite of his certainty they were alone, Ishrāb's series of signs had been intentionally scribed in the air so only she could read them. Do you know why I follow you so blindly? With every battle we've faced at the wall? With every impulse that derives from your mind?

Renāna shrugged, looking particularly annoyed by his desire to address something she wished to bury. Because your instincts come with questioning. Yes, you often do the first thing your mind suggests, but when it truly matters you have another instinct written upon your heart, Renāna. You question its validity in the Still Room, wondering, does it align with MEESHLEKAH.

Renāna immediately rested her forehead upon the line of his jaw. I cannot fail. Renāna signed, remaining still.

You won't. Ishrab's expression remained certain. You will reach the past. Even if my life depends on it, he thought to himsef, taking her hand, and ushering Renana forward. We've a banquet to attend.

The banquet was quaint, not a single decoration to account for, the natural beauty of the forest enough to satisfy their simplistic lifestyle. Each Harmonian adorned colors of tan, oak, or grey to maintain a sense of selfless reflection. Renāna and Ishrab sat upon the second most center log of their gathering area, with the elders situated on the first; their eyes constantly scrutinizing the tribe, ensuring the entire party maintained the orthodox style of dancing.

With a content expression, Renana observed the families within her tribe having formed a wide circle around their gathering area; the traditional dance accompanied with their Harmonies to create unique music. A rush of wind, water splashing against the trees and rocks, crackling flames popping, Steel clanking against various surfaces, creating a perfect cadence of sound.

Ashem, turning toward Renāna and Ishrāb, spoke in his typical authoritative tone. "We have set a date for your union. Eleven sunrises from now. And we mean to present you with a gift, which we are having built as we speak. A new dwelling place for you both."

Ishrab's eyes turned toward Renāna, doing well to gauge her thoughts on the matter; a sudden minute shift in her contentment, though she'd quickly recovered, smiling at Ashem courteously. A welcomed development. Ashem faced the elders, their eyes filled with cunning victory, Ishrāb noticing at once. "We are glad to hear it. The tribe will enjoy your union. Perhaps a little one will be on the horizon." Ashem added, before turning his attention back toward the members still dancing. His tone harbored much more than maybe he even intended. A man determined to see the wheels of their desire to turn. This wasn't about a welcome union. This was to manipulate Renāna's desire to be a mother to overshadow her desire to leave, and Ishrab was much too insightful to miss their deviance.

Ishrab's lips tightened, his body leaning against Renana's before he symbolled, They mean to distract us. Renāna huffed, returning Ishrāb's discreet signing. No surprises there, admittedly, it worked. He kissed her cheek, his peripherals catching sight of the elder's curious stares before signing something they would be able to see. Henāka will likely have a remarkable gown for my glowing bride. Aware of Ishrab's well-crafted plan to avoid any suspicions immediately played along, her own symbols visible for everyone as well. Now, Ishrāb. You will get no information from me. If such a gown exists, you will find out shortly. His shoulders bounced, his smile wide, head tilted back, before he gently kissed her hand. Once again, his symbols were hidden from the others, tactfully filling his eyes with flirtatious desire. There was something in the elders' crafty expressions that fueled Ishrab's next words, beginning to realize Renāna's speculations had to be correct. There was concealment in their eyes. Beguiling even. Meet me at the southern border in the third hour of the night. I will be under the cover of a Mirage. Provisions are packed. Renāna could hardly believe his words, momentarily stunned. After Ishrāb's determination to wait for the departure, his sudden shift on the matter thoroughly surprised her. We leave before they suspect otherwise. He added, feigning a wicked smile, as if he'd signed something to warrant her apparent shock. Dance with me? He requested, pulling her toward the others who were thrilled at their sudden approach, Henāka included. A swirl of water surrounded Renana, playfully created by Henaka; though Renana's eyes remained on Ishrab, silently trying to convey she would play her part well.

With a knowing gaze, Ishrab's eyes turned to those surrounding them. The children of her class, their mutual respect for Henāka. Tonight would be purposefully memorable. They would dance, laugh, and bask in the love of their people. It was a chance to say farewell as much as a chance to fuel their decision to leave. Renāna, was suddenly filled with a memory of their youth. A time when Ishrāb used to glance at Renāna, hoping to convince her of escaping to play; the pair able to read one another with a single look. Her eyes moistened, aware that this was goodbye, maybe forever. With a determined breath, she moved toward Henāka, taking her hands and twirling to the rhythm of their song, a shared mirth on both their faces. Tonight, Renana's and Ishrab's shared mission was gently lay aside, not in neglect but to sharpen their focus on a proper farewell.