Chapter Eleven

Max's POV

Bringing the twins downstairs to the computer lab shocks them. I always forget they have never used a computer, let alone be in front of one. As much as I wish I could, I can't afford to spend a fortune on my little siblings. I'm struggling to make ends meet. The diner pays me well, but I still have to set aside $500 a month for rent, $100 for groceries, and I save the rest. Saving for the past few months has allowed me to be able to spend for my siblings today. I have always wanted to get Mason and Maya out of there but I've been unsure on how to. Now, they are going to live with me.

In the computer room, I decide to search the cheapest places around me to get clothing and other necessities at an affordable cost. The internet shows me Goodwill has great prices for used clothing, shoes, and winter stuff. I hear Denver gets snow quite a few times, and I don't want Mason and Maya being cold. Walmart has clothes too and everything else at a cheaper price. I print out walking directions so I know where to take them.

The sun is still high in the sky by the time we start our little expedition. It feels strange, being responsible for two other lives, especially those of Maya and Mason. They rely on me, and I can't let them down. We're walking towards Goodwill first; it's close, and I figure we can find some decent clothes there without spending too much. The streets are busy, people rushing by, lost in their own worlds. Mason and Maya are quiet, taking in the sights and sounds with a mix of curiosity and caution.

We arrive at Goodwill, and the cool air inside is a relief from the warm sun outside. "Alright, guys," I start, trying to sound more confident than I feel, "Let's find some clothes that fit you both. Remember, comfort is key."

Maya clings to Mason, her eyes wide as she looks at the array of clothes. Mason, more assertive, starts sifting through the racks.

"This place is huge, Max," he says, his voice tinged with awe.

I nod, "Yeah, you can find pretty much anything here if you look hard enough."

We spend the next hour picking out clothes. Maya is shy about choosing, so I help her find some shirts and pants. She also seems to be very particular about clothing, pulling her hands away from certain textures she feels. Mason, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for it and picks out a few items quickly. I'm glad to see them getting into it, even if it's just a bit.

We then find the section with winter clothing, picking out a heavy jacket and some boots for both of them. I want them to stay warm in the cold weather, I also don't want them getting sick.

With a decent stack of clothes in our cart, we head to the checkout. The cashier gives us a friendly smile, and I can see Maya and Mason tense up. It's clear they're not used to this kind of interaction. "Good choices," the cashier says as she rings us up. I pay, making a mental note of how much we're spending.

Our next stop is Walmart. The place is a maze, and I feel a bit overwhelmed myself. We need personal hygiene products, some more clothes, and, oh yeah, spare keys. I lead the way to the hygiene aisle first.

"Okay, we need shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes..." I list off, picking out items and placing them in the cart. Mason and Maya watch me, their eyes taking in everything. I try to explain what each item is for, hoping it's not too much information at once.

After we gather all the necessities, we head to the clothing section. "Let's get you both another pair of shoes," I suggest.  We find sneakers that fit them and add those to the cart.

We walk to another area of the store that has towels and bedsheets. My couch has a pullout mattress on it that I'm going to sleep on, and have the twins sleep on the mattress, since it's bigger. I talked to them and they're cool with sharing the bed. I need to buy a set of sheets for the couch and another blanket. I let the twins pick out a towel in the color of their choosing.