Chapter Fourteen

Maya's POV

I could not sleep at all last night. Instead, I begin watching the sky as it slowly starts to brighten. The dark blue of the night begins to turn lighter, and then orange and pink streaks spread across the sky. It's like watching a big, beautiful painting being made right in front of me.

The first bits of the sun peek over the buildings in the distance, and everything begins to light up. The room where I'm sitting gets brighter, and the shadows all seem to fade away. It's pretty, watching everything change color like this.

Outside, the city starts to wake up. I can hear some cars in the distance and the sounds of the city coming to life. It's different from the quiet of the night. It makes me think about how everything keeps moving and changing, no matter what.

As the sun gets higher, its light gets stronger. The whole room feels warm and full of sunlight. It makes me stop and just look at it for a while. Even though I'm still feeling scared about the bad dream, the sunrise makes me feel a little better. It's like it's telling me that a new day is starting, and maybe things might be okay.

Watching the sunrise while standing at the sink is something new. Max's fifth story apartment gives a good view of the city while the sunrise finishes. Still in my place, I feel a tap on my shoulder. My body involuntarily jumps at that touch, scaring me. I turn around to see Maxy. That pulls me out of whatever trance I am in. Is he always up this early?

"Maya, did you sleep last night?" He asks me.

"D-Did you sleep well last night, M-Maxy?" I ask, not wanting to answer him.

"I slept well, what about you? Did you go back to sleep?"

"A-Are-Aren't th-the sunrises s-s-so p-pretty?"

"Yes.." He starts but I cut him off.

"Wha-What's your f-fav-favorite b-br-breakfast m-meal?"

"Maya! Answer my question please!"

"I th-think r-rats a-are u-ugly."

"Maya!" He raises his voice a bit, but not loud enough to wake up my twin.

I flinch at the sudden volume increase and decide to tell him the truth, "N-Not r-really. I c-c-couldn't really s-sleep"

He places his hand on my shoulder, and sighs. I involuntarily flinch again.

"Honeybee, you didn't sleep after that nightmare, did you?"

I nod my head hesitantly, looking down. "I c-couldn't s-sleep. The n-nightmare w-was scary, M-Maxy. I c-couldn't g-get it out o-of my h-head."

Maxy nods in understanding, squeezing my shoulder. "It's okay Maya, I get it. It's hard to sleep after dreaming about something like that."

I look up at him. "W-Why does i-it feel s-so weird, M-Maxy? It h-hurts, but n-no-not on th-the outside. It h-hurts i-inside. I-It's not r-really s-sadness, Maxy. Wh-what is i-it?"

"That's called anxiety, Honeybee. It's like a shadow that follows you everywhere, filling your mind with fear and unease and sadness all at once." Maxy explains softly.

"O-Oh," I tilt my head, "B-But I d-don't l-like it! H-How do I m-ma-make it g-go a-away? All o-of it."

"It's hard to make nightmares go away, Honeybee. The best thing for you to do today is to write out how you are feeling. It will take your feelings off your mind, since it's not healthy to bottle them up. You also can always talk to Mason or I about it. I even have a spare notebook that I can give you."

"I-I don't want to t-take your sp-spare n-no-notebook. What if y-you n-need it?" I don't want him to give up something of his for me.

"Nonsense! These only cost a couple of dollars at the store. I can easily buy another one if I run out of pages in my notebook."