Chapter 6

I hate that I have to format this everytime I copy and paste it from docs. It's really frustrating.

______________________________________

Unpredictable

The sound of Damien clanging on who knows what, woke me up. I look to see Bleu by his feet, wagging his tail, looking way too happy to see him.

Traitor.

"Good, you're up." Damien says, as I slunk into a sitting position. Rubbing my eyes from sleep. "Take this." He says, throwing me a handkerchief. A heavy handkerchief. I unfold the fabric to see what's stashed inside. "What's this?" I ask.

"What does it look like?" I take a deeper look at it. It looked like any other root you might find on the ground.

That's when I realised.

My eyes snapped up, meeting the smirk on Damiens lips. "Why would you give me that!?" I say as I throw it in disgust. "You took it off one of those things didn't you?"

Damien smiled - that beautiful smile - as he craned his head to the ceiling. "What if I did?" He says.

My face screws into something horrid. "What? You just sat there at the kitchen table chopping up a monkey while I was asleep? What is wrong  with you!?"

Damien laughed again. He seems to find humour in my distaste for blood and butchering. I've never seen guts before and I don't plan to, I don't care where it comes from.

"I didn't do it here, don't worry." He says, a smile and amusement still plastered on his face. I will admit, he has a nice smile and I'm surprised how much he's doing it this morning but damn it's annoying.

"I want you to keep it on you." Damien says, fiddling with whatever loud concoction he's creating on the table.

"Why?" Seriously, why would I need a root?

"You might need it at some point." He says picking it up off the floor. "They're strong, stronger than normal roots. Just take it." He leant down in front of me, placing it in my hands. "A rifle can't help you every time. Sometimes they're within arm's reach, hurting you. This is for when that time comes." His voice was low, soft in my ears.

I looked at him blankly, not really knowing what to say. This was the first time he's openly shown me any kind of attempt to keep me safe. Aside from telling me what not to do.

His eyes stared into me, pulling apart every sarcastic comment forming in the back of my throat. I swallowed, hard, and shifted under his gaze, uncomfortable with its intensity. Heat began spreading on my cheeks and I looked away.

I can see his smile in my peripheral vision, making the heat worsen.
"Come on." he says as he stands.

"Where are we going?" I watch as he closes the distance to the kitchen.

"Away from here." He states, stuffing his gun in his holster.

I assume that's what the noise was, him pulling the components apart.
"Why do you always seem to want to leave as quickly as possible?" I ask curiously.

He packs his bag with the rest of his things, ignoring my question - Although I can tell he heard it.

A sigh escaped me as I rubbed my eyes before standing. My eyes trail over to where he slept. Everything was packed neatly in a pile, ready to be stashed away.

He really must be in a hurry.

A quiet, repetitive banging filled my ears. My neck craning to find the source. Bleu was still by Damiens feet, his tail happily hitting the wall beside him, with a brown teddy bear in his mouth.