Chapter 7

Far from here

Last night we took shelter in a motel just off the main road.

We were starting to get tired when we saw it down a small dirt track. The second story seemed to loom over us in the light of the sunset.

We both knew it was a bad idea, there were so many rooms and so many potential hiding places.

I'm surprised Damien agreed. After all, he does know more about this world than I do.

When we arrived we checked all the rooms but one, it was blocked so we let it be - it can't get out if we can't get in I guess.

We found a room with two beds and a small bathroom at the end. It was a basic room with nasty carpet floors and stained yellow walls, but I have a feeling they were in this condition long before the apocalypse.

Last night, we didn't talk much. We only spoke when Damien told me he was going out to look for supplies. He told me to stay put, which I was fine with considering I didn't want to be around him anyway.

I sat on the cream coloured sheets as I wrote in my journal, writing down all of what I've experienced so far. Surprisingly, it wasn't much, odd from how far we've come.

Damien returned a moment after I was done. Quietly stripping off his bag and laying down on his bed.

I went to sleep after that, content with the fact that Damien would get eaten first in the bed by the door.

I awoke to the sound of thunder rumbling but my eyes refused to open, heavy with exhaustion.

I could distantly hear Damien talking but it sounded like I was underwater. My brain unable to comprehend the words.

The breeze was hot on my face, the air stuffy. I suppose he had the door open based on the light that burned through my eyelids.

I guess it's a hot shower. Great, just great for the walking we'll undoubtedly do today. Warm, damp, sticky clothes. Awesome.

I stuffed my head under my pillow, drowning out the voices as much as possible.

Wait. Voices?

I moved out from under the pillow to see Damien on the floor, at the end of his bed with his hands behind his head. A rifle trained on him from the doorway.

I stood up with a start, fumbling in the streets.

"Don't move." The man snapped, not taking his eyes from Damien. I froze. Panic settling in.

"It's alright, just stay there." Damien reassured me. Somehow making me relax a little.

"What are you doing here?" The man asked, his dark eyebrows knitting together.

"I already told you, we-" Damien started.

"I wasn't talking to you." My eyes met the mans for only a second, and I swore I could see something else in his eyes. But dominance is all that invaded the air.

His words were harsh and direct. Something you couldn't argue with.

My panic is really settling in now.

I've never dealt with a survivor before. No one ever came to the cabin, not in the two years I was there. Not close like this anyway.

I swallowed. "We needed rest. We saw the place last night and stopped to sleep. That is all." I said, keeping my head down incase he decided I was a threat and blew it off.

He gestured with his gun for me to get on the floor. I moved slowly, keeping my eyes on his weapon as I bent into a crouch.

"You've been here for one night? One night only?" He questioned.