Ten

"There are rules to follow," Casca Highbottom sighed as Coriolanus snow stood in the room, asking for the impossible. "We cannot move your tribute out of the zoo."

"But she's in danger," he complained.

"Yes, snow. I understand that, however, where would she go? And how do you think the other tributes would react?" Casca pointed out. "It's simply not do-able."

"I'll do anything," Snow persisted, "It's not fair."

"Would you give up the Plinth Prize?" Highbottom asked, catching out snow. "Yeah I didn't think so. Be careful with your words, Coriolanus."

"What if we asked the games master? If she said yes would you allow it?" Snow suggested, brushing back his hair desperately. It simply wasn't fair for her to be going through this.

"What makes you think the game master would care about your tribute?" He asked, turning around to face him. "Listen. I know how you feel. I was once friends with your tributes father. He was a good man. The last thing I want is for his daughter to be experiencing this but I cannot help you."

"Fine," Coriolanus snapped, storming out of the room.

He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. He had to get whiskey out of there so he could win the plinth prize.

Snow walked into the white room, heading directly toward Dr Gaul.

"Gaul," he called out, searching the room for her.

"Coriolanus, what are you doing here?" She asked, prodding a small bird in a cage. "Shouldn't you be with your, lovebird?" She teased.

"I need to move my tribute out of the zoo," Snow announced boldly.

This shocked Dr Gaul. "Well. Well. She finally catch your heart?"

"No. She's in danger. Some of the other tributes are attacking her.." he clenched his jaw.

"Attacking her? Is that what they call it nowadays?" She smirked.

Snow just stood and stared at her. It wasn't amusing to him.

"What you're asking is impossible."

"I'll do anything, please?" Snow pleaded. "She has to survive."

"Anything?" Volumnia took ahold of the rare opportunity. She flicked her red gloves and stepped down from her stool. "If I do this for you, you'll do anything for me? That's a bold declaration."

"Yes," Snow replied without thinking. "Anything."

"Good," Dr Gaul smirked. "I may be able to protect your tribute. But now, you do this for me. Follow me boy."

Dr Gaul walked through her room to a set of white doors. Snow anxiously followed, just focusing on the protection of Whiskey Everdeen. Her protect was his survival.

As they entered, snow was immediately lost for words. Cameras flashed all over the districts, following everyone's moves. Dr Gaul walked through with a face full of madness. "Control is Power. You shall learn this one day."

Coriolanus looked silently as they passed innocent people being injected with random serums and tests. One man was screaming and being contained by a group of people in lab coats.

Finally, they stopped in front of board that read District 12. Snows eyes glazed over each of the cameras. He had never seen district 12 before in such detail. Everything looked grey and poor. It was a wonder someone like Whiskey managed to live their so long.

"You see this lady right here?" Dr Gaul asked, pointing at one of the screens following a lady with black hair, being chased around by little children.

"Yes?" Snow questioned, confused.

"This is your tributes Auntie Gree," she informed him. "One of her closest family relatives. One of the only people in the world who cares about Whiskey Everdeen. When she was selected, Gree begged for her to be set free in return for her own life. Quite touching, don't you think?"

Snow furrowed his brows together, trying to figure out where this is going.

"To your tribute, this woman is the only kind of mother she ever had. Your tribute loves her like a mother."

"Okay?" Snow questioned Dr Gaul.

"Now kill her," Dr Gaul ordered.

"What?" He exclaimed, stepping back. "But you just told me how important she is to Everdeen. I can't kill her."

"You want to keep your tribute safe? then do it," Volumnia smirked.

Snow thought about it for a second. In the camera, her children ran in and out of the room. They would witness her death. Not only that, If Everdeen ever found out, she would never forgive him. This woman was the most important person in her life.

But how desperately did he want that Prize money? He didn't know this woman at all. He needed Everdeen to be okay. It wasn't going to affect him if he chose to kill her. Only Everdeen. But she wouldn't ever find out it was him.

Snow watched the camera screen, staring at this woman. It was her or him. Whiskey needed to survive for his survival.

"Okay, fine. Kill her," he decided.

Dr Gaul's smile widened. They watched the screen as soldiers came bursting into the room and dragged the woman out. She screamed for help as her children started crying. One of the men pointed his gun and shot her in the head. Her body flopped to the ground, bleeding out.

"Very well, Coriolanus. I will protect your tribute. I will move her out of the zoo as you requested," Volumnia Gaul decided.

With relief, snow turned away from the violence. "Can I ask why you did that?"

"I had to make sure your ambition was higher than love," Dr Gaul smirked, stepped away from him.