Fifteen

"So, Whiskey Everdeen, the lovebird from district 12. Tell me, how are you feeling about the hunger games tomorrow night?" Lucky asked her, raising an eyebrow.

Whiskey stared out into the crowd, trying to contain herself. The giant camera recorded her every move and reaction for the people to see. "I... uh," she spoke into the microphone. "I'm hoping to make it out alive, but aren't we all?"

"Yes. Yes. Now we've all been dying to ask. How's it going with your mentor, Coriolanus Snow? Last we heard you were staying with him? Please do explain," Lucky exclaimed nosily, addressing the crowd with a grin.

Whiskey smiled, getting ready to plaster on the show. "Well... as you all know I've been staying with him for a while, only to keep myself safe before the games. And I must admit, things have been going well between us."

"Oooo!" Flickerman chirped, pointing the microphone closer for more information. "Well? Have you been... holding hands? Hugging? Kissing, even?" He winked at the crowd. "We're hungry for the romance."

"Now I shouldn't really be telling you this because it's not right for tribute and mentor to be... involved," she reminded them. "However, Yes. We have kissed before. Many times," she lied.

This caused an eruption of screaming throughout the crowd. "Oo la la! Whiskey and Snow," he beamed. "Does that mean we might see something tonight? As I've been informed, your mentor is backstage. How about, for those people doubting this romance, we get him out here to kiss you in front of the cameras."

Whiskey's entire facade slipped onto the floor, "No!" She panicked.

Flickerman looked amused and in the moment, Whiskey realised he was the one who didn't believe this romance was real. This was a set up.

"Why not, lovebird?" He questioned. "The audience would love you to." They cheered in response.

"What about the rules for these interviews," Whiskey reminded him desperately trying to get out of it.

"Eh, screw the rules! It's all for the people of panem!" Flickerman winked, addressing the crowd.

Just then, out walked Coriolanus Snow. He smiled confidently, waving at the screaming audience, being streamed across the districts.

"And look here he is folks. The one. The only. Coriolanus Snow, the mentor of Whiskey Everdeen from district 12," Lucky Flickerman introduced him.

Whiskey gave Snow a look as he crossed the stage to her side. He ignored it and instead smiled at her calmly. In front of the cameras, his hand found his way to her waist.

"Welcome Snow. Tell me, how do you feel about this dashing tribute from district 12. The people of Panem would love to hear," Flickerman directly asked Coriolanus.

"I think she's gorgeous," Snow smiled, glancing down at her face. The crowd aww-ed at his comment. "From the moment she stepped off that truck, her looks was one of the first things I noticed about her. She was different to the other girls I'd seen, yet she pulled it off so beautifully, I couldn't help myself from staring, and I certainly tried. I knew my grandmother would not be happy." A ripple of laughter scattered through the room.

Whiskey could feel her face heating up with all the attention. She watched Snow with a staged admiration, surprised at how easy the answers flowed into his sentences. It concerned her how easily he lied.

"So, do we wanna do what we pulled you up her for?!" Flickerman grinned. "They say how much they like each other, so let's see it in real life folks. Hard cold evidence for the people at home."

Suddenly, Whiskey was aware of every bone in her body all at once. Her limbs felt clumsy. She'd never ever kissed anyone before and here she was on live television about to kiss someone. Not just someone, her Mentor. A handsome boy who'd probably kissed plenty of girls before. Whiskey plastered on a smile.

Snow's hand moved from her waist as he turned to face her. He smiled, somehow in his eyes telling her to trust him. His cold fingers tucked a strand of hair off her face, behind her ear.

The entire crowd held its breath, waiting for the tribute girl from 12 and mentor boy from the capital, in love through unfortunate circumstances, to finally kiss.

Coriolanus's face was so close to Whiskey's, his body so close. He had one hand on her cheek, the one on her waist, eliminating the space to breathe between them. His ocean eyes glazed over her features with a smirk. You ready?

His lips pressed against hers. Without even thinking she lent towards him, kissing him back.  Her cheeks went red before she could even stop herself and she suddenly was aware of butterflies in her stomach. She ignored them but deep down knew the reason. She just wasn't ready to address it yet. To distract herself, she focused on the people watching with excitement, clapping at their public affection. To them, their relationship was real and now people wanted her to survive, for the love.

Flickerman cheered, "Well there you have it folks. The mentor and the lovebird, two people connected by love. Place your votings now if you want to vote for Whiskey Everdeen from district 12."

Whiskey and Coriolanus stood next to each other, holding hands as the votes plummeted through the roof. Coriolanus glanced over at her, laughing slightly at her shocked yet blushy expression. He hadn't mentioned to Whiskey the rumour he heard from Flickerman about his plans to bring him up on stage because he knew she was already so worried. And for this voting to work and for the people fo love her, she needed to do a good job. But, it was fair to say, after the performance she put into their kiss, he trusted she was perfectly fine at pretending to be in love with him. She was a better actress than he realised.

"Now, Everdeen. As I'm sure Coriolanus hopes (and quite a few other young men), May the odds be ever in your favour," Lucky Flickerman smiled, ushering them offstage.