Twenty Seven

"I'm Lucretius 'Lucky' Flickerman. A man who needs no introduction. Weatherman. Amateur magician and here with the latest update in the recent... situation. We've just been granted access to the footage of the underground tunnels below the arena so now we can tell who's alive and who's gone bye bye.

As we flick through these cameras we see... oooh. Lamina, tribute from district 7, laying dead in the darkness. Why don't we just rewind a little bit, find out what happened. And look there folks. Coral, Otto and Facet approach her... they're chatting, looking unfriendly... things aren't looking good... and she shakes her head... and boom there it is! Coral stabs her in the chest.

Now, checking different areas... nothing, nothing, nothing. Ah, wait a second. I see a hand. And that is... Yikes, Miss Sickle, and by the looks of things also Juno Phipps, killed by Coral and her two friends as well. That is not good at all. Two more capital students dead. The Academy will be infuriated right now.

And finally last few cameras, and... what is this?! Coriolanus Snow, a mentor, and Ratley Reid from district 12, fighting, right now. This is live."

From inside the arena, Ratley was on top of Coriolanus, wrapping his hands around his neck as hard as he could. Coriolanus was struggling to breathe, but with a swing, he connected his fists with his chin and Ratley tumbled off.

Snow scrambled to his feet, "If you loved her, why didn't you do anything about it?" He yelled, trying to make him stop. "I'm not the problem." Coriolanus would kill him if he had to, but he didn't want to.

Ratley charged at him and slammed into his chest, knocking Coriolanus against the wall. He coughed, feeling the air get knocked out of him.
"Ratley... Stop."

Snow's talking seemed to make Ratley more angry. He tried to punch his face, but Snow ducked at the last minute and his fist slammed full speed into the brick wall. He cried out in pain for his broken knuckles, showing a moment of weakness.

Coriolanus kicked his knee, making him stumble back, and punched him in the face, cracking his nose. Blood streamed down Ratley's lip, into his teeth.

Ratley dived for a loose sharp brick on the floor and tried to throw it at Coriolanus, but due to all the damage, instead lamely tossed it forward. Snow quickly grabbed it and seeing his opportunity, seized Ratley's neck before he could respond. He held the sharp brick up to his neck, ready to stab him and end his life.

Hearing the commotion, Whiskey came running down the tunnel as far as she could, fearing the worst. She knew they should've stayed together because now, there was a chance that Ratley was about to be slaughtered.  Her feet splashed down the leaky tunnel.

From the outside, Flickerman gasped. The TV screens showcasing them to the entirety of Panem. "Ladies and Gentlemen, is this academy mentor going to kill this tribute? If he is, he better decide fast because here comes his little lovebird, about to see what he's doing to her friend. Ever since they'd started this, Miss Everdeen and Ratley always had an unspoken alliance. She would not break that for anyone, except maybe her lover boy mentor. What would she do if she had to chose between friendship or... love?"

Tears stung Ratley's eyes as he watched something truly terrifying flash across Coriolanus's face. "Please," Ratley whimpered, begging him not to do it. "I'm sorry."

Feeling a deep uncontrollable desire to push the stone into his neck, Snow had to fight an inwards battle and if it wasn't for the patter of steps getting closer, echoing throughout the room, he may have had less self control. Finally, he replied, stone cold, "Leave me alone, leave Whiskey alone, and never come back. If I see you again in this arena, I will kill you."

Ratley nodded and Coriolanus pushed him away. Ratley stumbled and sprinted down the tunnel, never looking back.

Suddenly, Whiskey arrived, looking terrified. However, as soon as she saw it was Coriolanus, she sighed with relief. She ran towards Coriolanus and withheld from hugging him, just grateful he was alive.

"Coriolanus?! You're alive! Where's Ratley? I heard people fighting. I got scared. Is he okay? are you okay?" Whiskey blurted uncontrollably.

Coriolanus smiled and interrupted her panic, "He's fine. He'll be fine."

"Why did he leave?" Whiskey pestered, not understanding.

"Everdeen..." Snow silenced her, "Just know it's for the better."

"What?" Whiskey smile faded. "Is something wrong?"

"No.. it's.." he trailed off trying to find the words.

"Where did you come from?" Whiskey asked another question as her train of thought did, making Snow gratefully change the topic.

"I heard you two arguing. I came to make sure you were okay, but you left. Then, that's when Ratley started.. questioning me," Snow tried to not go into much detail for Whiskey's sake. Ratley was her friend and it would hurt her to know he tried to kill Snow then ran off, leaving her.

"Oh.." Whiskey frowned, looking down the tunnel. "Where has he gone?"

"I don't know," Coriolanus replied.

"So..." Whiskey began but immediacy stopped, noticing all the blood in the crappy lighting. "Wow, you're bleeding?! What happened? Your arm."

"It's okay," Snow lied, knowing he got a massive gash from the ceiling falling down int he arena. "It'll be fine."

"No, we need to get this covered at least. You could get seriously sick. You could lose your limb," She gently touched the wound, sending shivers down his arm.

From the outside, Lucky Flickerman sighed and looked away, "It seems as though Coriolanus chose love over survival. I predict we'll see Ratley again. Only this time, he'll be much more of a problem.

So to conclude, as of recent tallies... four mentors and three tributes dead. The capital is no closer to breaking into that arena as they were before. The rate things are going, everyone's going to be dead before they get in.

I'm lucky Flickerman and that was your update for the... situation. More to come."