10.

Dark clouds are looming over the park where I'm walking, but the sun tries to slip past every now and then. It's another cold day, but I still decided to get some fresh air. I love walking, it always calms me down, no matter how stressed I am. 

Old people are seated on benches nearby or children are playing with the lost branches of a tree while scarves hug their bodies tightly. It's a perfect example of a chilly autumn day.

Putting my airpods back in my ears, I hum to the soft music. I wish life could always be like this, peaceful.

But the music stops abruptly when a phone call comes in. Pulling my face together, I wonder who the caller is, as it is Saturday afternoon. Stopping on the path, I fiddle with my pocket until I finally whip out the device. When I see the simple word mom written down, I get confused but also excited because she might want to congratulate me on last week's win, but then my face falls at the reminder that she rarely calls me.

Taking a deep breath, I disconnect my airpods and put the phone to my ear while clumsily tucking the earbuds into the holder and then into the pocket of my jacket. It doesn't take long for her voice to echo through my ears and I have to try not to pull it further away from me.

"Dahlia"

"Yes mom?" Feeling nervous, I fidget with the fringes of my scarf and then walk on when I almost reach the street to walk back home. I can't take my eyes off the colourful leaves scattered on the ground.

"Where are you?" Her stern voice sends shivers down my spine and suddenly the temperature seems to drop even lower. Why is she asking me this? 

"Uhm... in the park mom, why? Is there something?" I can't imagine why she would call me while she's on a business trip. Ever since I was young, I had a rule not to call between certain hours because they would be busy at work. If it was something important, I had to ask my grandmother, who watched over me until I reached the age when I could take care of myself.

A loud scoff resounds and I can hear hushed whispers through the phone, she's probably with my dad because they work for the same company. "Come home right now, we need to talk." With that, she hangs up and anxiety kicks in. Home?! Are they back already? Staring at the device some more, I pick up my speed and walk back home. I cannot possibly imagine what I have done wrong now.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

Debating whether I should just run away, I open the front door after all or I'd be in trouble anyway. Hearing the chatter of my oh-so-wonderful parents as I take off my shoes and put on slippers, my stress level is a big 10. Shuffling down the hall, I see my parents at the dining table in our big, boring kitchen.

As soon as they notice my presence, they stop chatting and instead two pairs of eyes try to read me. I remove my jacket and hang it over my chair before sitting down next to my father who is sitting opposite my mother. "Mom" I bow slightly and then turn to my dad. "Dad"

I just sit there with my head down waiting to see what they might have to tell me. I'm also wondering why they are here so early.

"Your grades have dropped"

Oh.

Sighing deeply, I try not to show my frown. I'm a straight A-student, but lately I've been getting a few unsatisfactory grades. I'm not happy about it, because I'm used to getting better grades, but honestly, I don't think they're really poor grades.

"Yes, I know that and I'm sorry. Is that why you flew over to come and tell me?" I look up and for the first time I meet both their eyes that seem to widen. They shake their heads and now Dad takes over. "We noticed that you won that one competition" he says in a monotone voice and I look down at my fingers in my lap, smiling slightly before facing them again.