Prologue II: The shadows of the night

He loves the sea.

He doesn't have it at home, so he even more enjoys it, now, that he has it right before his feet.

The sea lies before him, dark and calm, in this cool summer night. Litter waves swim onto the shore, some bigger ones touch his feet because he has taken off his shoes. The quiet of the night in combination with the sea give him a feeling of peace and home, two things, he doesn't really have in this world.

Not that he is alone in this world. In fact, his family is quite big and spread across half of Europe. But there is a difference between a family - and a family. Between a family that binds you together through blood ties - and a family that feels like home, that, no matter where you are, you know that you have those people by your side.

He automatically thinks about his immediate family. His mother, trying everything to give them a decent life as royal children. Well, she is finally free now after all.

Maybe that was the reason why his brother invited - or rather forced - him to join his stay in Weymouth. He has been in England before, so he didn't really have the urgent feeling to visit the island again. But his brother insisted. But maybe his older brother just needed some support after his last year's unpleasant time in England.

He loves his brother, so he decided to fulfill his wish. And maybe it wasn't his badest decision after all. The people in Weymouth are really friendly, the wine is good, the beer is better and when the partys and dances start to turn his head upside down, the calmness of the sea brings him back to earth and peace.

Life is good at these moments. He then forgets about all the mess at home and in his heart.

"Brother?"

He turns his back and sees his brother, trudging through the sand towards him.

"What's up?"

"Why did you leave the dance? I tought you were the one of us who could never stop dancing?" He looks at him with a grin.

Of course he thought that. And it was the truth.

Well, maybe ninety-nine percent of it.

"I couldn't expect the ladies to dance with me any longer." He laughs.

"Of course." His brother rolls his eyes and then laughs too.

One percent of the truth was that sometimes, he needed some space to breath - and let the shadows of the night run away.