Chapter 10: It is what it is

On the evening of the prince's departure, peace has returned to the Blithisfield estate.

Edwina ate dinner alone. Lady Blithisfield retired due to a headache and Prince Carl had already left before and has not returned yet. It was a strange situation when the servant brought the meal to Edwina, who sat alone at the long table.

Now, about an hour later, the sun is on her way down to the horizon and Edwina is indecisive what to do because she's not tired yet. After some back and forth, she decides to go into the large salon, where an old piano is quietly gathering dust. Lady Blithisifield told her that it was her late husband's favourite piece in the house, but that she hasn't played it for a long time. Edwina herself hasn't gotten around to trying it out yet. Actually, she hasn't had a chance to play in peace for months. 

She sits down on the piano stool, which creaks alarmingly. When she plays a few keys for a test, she is amazed at how good it still sounds after all these years. Then she sits upright and plays a Mozart, which she has mastered since she was a child. Better safe than sorry - if anoyne hears her. 

It doesn't take long for her thoughts to wander. The Queen, Lady Blithisfield, Prince Carl, Princess Charlotte and Prince Friedrich. What a couple of days! 

"Aren't you afraid to wake up Lady Blithisfield? I do warn you, her sleep is sacred to her."

Edwina screams softly and clutches her heart, the piano playing stops abruptly. Then she turns around to the person who has startled her. 

"Good Lord! Eh ..." She needs a moment to compose herself. "I thought the Dowager Countess' rooms would be far enough away but if you think that it's too loud, I shall -"

"No worry, it was just a joke." Prince Carl grins and steps out of the doorway closer into the room. 

"Oh." Edwina blinks. "Funny."

"I'm sorry if I scared you."

"It's alright, Your Royal Highness." When she takes a closer look at him in the candlelight, she notices his wet hair. "Maybe you should dry your hair, so you don't catch a cold." She refrains from asking why it is wet. That would a bit bold. 

"Actually, I was on my way in my room when I heard this beautiful music and had to see who breathes new life into the old thing."

"Charmer." She laughs. 

He winks at her conspiratorially. "I'm grateful to you for trying out the piano. I confess, I haven't dared to do it yet."

"You play the piano?" Edwina looks at him genuinely surprised. 

"Why not?" The prince sits down on one of the red armchairs arranged in a circle. 

"Well, I guess I would have attributed it to your brother."

"We both play. By the way ... I hope you don't want to leave us, now that my dear brother has left us?"

She puts her hands in her lap. "In fact, I wanted to leave tomorrow."

"What? But -"

"No worry, Lady Blithisfield convinced me to stay." Because of the relaxed atmosphere, Edwina adds mischievously: "It seems she doesn't want to be alone with you."

"I am deeply hurt." Prince Carl laughs. Then he adds seriously: "I am happy to hear that you stay. It was surely not easy for you ... that he left."

She swallows. "It is what it is." She wishes she could believe herself.

"True words." He is silent thoughtfully. Finally, he says: "I was swimming."

"Really?"

"Yes, it is an advantage living at the sea that you can swim as often as you wish."

"I fear I have never had the possibility to swim", Edwina admits.

He doesn't really look at her surprised. No wonder, swimming is not part of the standard training for ladies. 

"Swimming clears my head. Sometimes, when the world threatens to overwhelm me, it's good to have a place where I can calm down." He looks at her. "And to remember that one's enough."

"Enough, yes ..." She has the feeling the last words were intended for her. But his sincere words are right, though. Edwina wouldn't have thought that a charismatic prince like him would say something like that. She knows he is right. 

"My mother used to tell me that if you fall down, you have to get up again, straighten your crown and move on."

"You crown?" She raises her eyebrowes.

"Well, she probably exxagerated a bit." Prince Carl laughs. 

"Move on ...", Edwina mumbles.

"And play a Mozart?"

Edwina laughs. "And play a Mozart, yes." She plays a little melody. Then she looks at him grateful. "Thank you."

He tilts his head slightly. "It is what it is." 

"It is what it is." Now, she means it.

"But back to Mozart ... May I join you for a little piece?" He stands up and comes to her.

Edwina looks uncertainly at her stool. "Your Royal Highness, I am not sure if -"

"No worry, I am a better player than you may think." And with these words he sits down next to her. 

Edwina is happy to find that the chair only creaks a little. 

"Shall we?"

She nods. "With pleasure." 

They start playing a suite that sounds surprisingly good. She really wouldn't have believed him to do that. She starts relaxing and leaving the pressure of the last two days behind her - but suddenly ...

Suddenly she hears a creak much louder than the others before - the stool breaks. And a second later she falls to the floor with the prince. 

After a few seconds in shock, they look at each other in surprise, then burst out in laughing.

"Are you hurt?", Prince Carl asks when they calmed down again.

"No, Your Royal Highness." She shakes her head, still a smile on her face.

"You can call me Carl." He holds out his hand to her, still sitting on the floor.

They both must make a really strange picture. 

She takes his hand and shakes it. "Edwina."