7

I wipe my hands on a towel and hang it to dry over the sink basin. Just as I pivot to leave, I hear a deep voice calling my name from behind.

"Gabriel, don't you leave yet! I've got a paycheck for you!"

Out of the employee room doors comes my boss, Robert. He's a short and stout man, like a teacup, or rather a barrel. His hair is almost gone but he has an impressive salt and pepper mustache to make up for it.

"Thanks, boss," I say, taking the sealed white envelope from his chubby hand.

"Call me Bob."

He smiles and tucks a pen behind his ear, staring at me like he's waiting for me to say it.

My eye squints ever so slightly.

"Thanks, Bob," I say, just to appease him.

He flashes a bright white smile before heading out to the dining room. His teeth couldn't be more fake.

"Such a nice man," Jonathan says to me from the dish washing station. I'd love to know how he got there so quietly, and without me noticing.

"Oh, here," I untie my apron and toss it to him, "maybe you can ask Bob for more than one dish apron."

Jonathan doesn't say anything, he just turns around and starts scrubbing dishes like his life depends on it.

He is still very serious with me, but has smiled a total of two times since I first met him. Or, perhaps it was a muscle twitch, the whole gesture did feel a bit robotic.

When I make it into the employee room, Arnold is sitting hunched over onto the folding table, just lifelessly lying there.

I freeze in place, moving my eyeballs from left to right, just to make sure nobody is here with us. My brain can't decide if it would be better if someone was here, or if it would be better if nobody else was here.

"Um... Arnold?" I gingerly ask, trying to jog my brain on the training we did about emergencies.

Coupled with the fluorescent lighting that sometimes flickers enough to give someone a seizure and his age, this doesn't look good. 

"Meditating," he responds calmly, not a single bone or muscle moving in his body.

My shoulders relax in relief when I hear is voice, which is muffled and weak, but nonetheless there.

"Got it," I say with my finger in the air, taking a mental note for next time. Quickly, I grab my things from my locker and leave.

When I finally make it outside, the crisp air is a welcome change of scenery.

Being couped up in the kitchen all day is terrible. Now, more than ever, I crave the smell of fresh air. Never in my life would I think this day would come.

The dinner rush is about to begin inside, so I am relieved my shift is over. I overheard Katie asking Sadie if she could stay for an extra hour.

Sadie's face looked unhappy and worn out, but she nodded "yes." Part of me wished she would have said no.

Curiousity strikes me and I decide to walk past the diner, just to see if Sadie is still inside. Instead of making my usual left, I turn right.