030 || Drowning

⚠ WARNING || Sexual abuse, violence, blood, trigger warning 

~~~~~~~~~

I looked up to see a hand, but I was even more surprised to see who it belonged to. Max was standing over me, his expression unreadable. I blinked, my gaze flickering between him and his extended hand.

"Look, if you're here to be a jackass, then I would prefer it if you just left me alone." I sighed, looking back down into my lap.

"No, I actually came over to ask you to dance." He said after a small pause. He frowned as if he were confused about why he did it in the first place. I stopped.

"W-whith you?" I frowned. This was not the Max Verstappen I knew.

"No. I was actually asking for Christian. He's a bit shy." He said sarcastically. I let out a small laugh. I looked back up at him to see him smile for the first time in a while. His eyes twinkled pleasingly. 

"Well, tell Christian to dance with his own wife." I told him, leaning back in my chair.

"I think he wants to dance with you." He replied a little more quietly than I had expected. I was taken a bit by surprise by this new side of him.

"I hate to disappoint Christian, but I'm not in the mood to dance right now." I shook my head.

"Oh, come on. This is your favorite song; of course you want to dance." He said it a little too quickly. I looked at him. How did he know that? "I mean, Christian knows that it's your favorite song." He stammered. I smiled.

"Max..." I began slowly. "I'm really not in the mood." He paused. I waited for him to say something rude or at least walk away, but he did neither.

Instead of taking me completely off guard, he took my chin in his hand. His fingers gently tilted my head back up to meet his piercing gaze. I let him. His eyes were still unreadable, but a small smile was appearing on his face.

"Dance with me, Liefje." His voice was low.

How can someone who is so rough be so gentle?

I couldn't speak. The feeling of fingers on my skin was completely overwhelming. Color rushed to my cheeks as I realized I hadn't said anything in minutes. He waited patiently for my response.

He let his hand fall, and suddenly I could breathe again. I swallowed, trying to find the words. Of course, I wanted to dance. I fucking loved this song. I began to overthink like crazy.

"Okay, how about this?" He sighed, clearly seeing the turmoil in my eyes. "You have three seconds to take my hand and go dance with me, or you can sit here and keep feeling sorry for yourself." He held out his hand once more.

There was my Max.

I smiled broadly. I took his hand and got to my feet. As I did, I saw a smile flash across his face, but it was gone in an instant. He turned away towards the dance floor.

"Wait." I let go of his hand and grabbed my flower from the table. I walked back to him, his eyes filled with a mix of impatience and curiosity.

I clipped off the leaves and slipped the pretty white rose into his breast pocket. He watched me. Not what I was doing. Me.

"There. That's better." I smiled, admiring my work. I patted his chest before I could stop myself. He didn't say anything as he glanced down at the rose. "Now we can go." I told him, walking past him.

When I found an empty space, I turned to him. I suddenly felt nervous as he stopped in front of me. What the hell was I thinking?!

As soon as I felt his hand slide around my waist, I was thinking nothing. My mind had gone blank. I forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I forgot where I was.