042 || Forever her

That night had definitely been the lonliest. I barley slept. Just longing for him to be next to me again. But I couldn't allow myself to think like that. It was dangerous. So I cried myself to sleep. Again.

Alone.

I went home for a day before we left for Silverstone. I wanted to spend some time with Ann. I hadn't seen her since the breakup, and I needed to see that she was doing okay. And maybe find out what happened between them...

"Bri! Oh my gosh, you didn't tell me you were home!" She smiled excitedly, running out of her apartment to hug me. I laughed.

"Surprise!" I hugged her back before following her inside. She was wearing her breakup clothes, which wasn't a great sign. A huge t-shirt that said 'Fuck men' and baggy sweatpants.

"What do I owe this pleasure to?" She smiled, closing the door and walking over to the couch with me. I sat down next to her.

"I heard about you and Lan. I'm so sorry." I began sympathetically. She sighed.

"I was hoping you wouldn't. We weren't going to tell anyone just yet, but I'm not surprised. That boy couldn't keep a secret from you if his life depended on it." She chuckled. I felt a small smile creep over my lips. She looked at me with a small shake of her head.

"If you don't mind me asking... what happened? I mean, you always looked so happy together. Did he do something or..." I asked a little awkwardly.

"No, no. Of course not. He's great. He did everything right, and so did I. But I knew I could never really have him." She pulled her knees up to her chest with a longing sigh. I was following until the last sentence.

"What do you mean?" I frowned. She pursed her lips.

"It's hard to love someone when they dream of someone else." She said simply, her voice quieter. I was still confused. She was looking at me intently.

"I still don't understand. Who?" I leaned closer. I saw her deep brown eyes shine with tears. Had I gone too far?

"You really are blind." She laughed lightly, wiping her eyes on her sleeve. I was even more confused.

"Why does everyone keep saying that!?" I demanded. She looked at me sympathetically.

"He loves you, Bri... Always has." She took my hand gently. She was using a voice you would use to break some horrible news to someone you loved. I stared at her. 

Was she joking? She had to be joking. She didn't need to say his name because we both knew who she was talking about.

"I don't believe you." I stammered. "He doesn't love me. That's not true!" I felt tears fill my eyes. I shook my head in denial. Her eyes softened even further with pity.

"I thought you knew..." She frowned. "We all thought you did. He doesn't do a very good job at hiding it."

"We?" I jerked my hand out of hers, my eyes wide. She nodded slowly.

"All of us. Layla was the one who saw it first." She explained.

No, no, no, it wasn't true. It couldn't be true.

"No! That's not true! Lando is my best friend! He doesn't love me like that!" I crouched, standing up suddenly. I think my body was telling me to run away before I let the truth set in.

"Oh, honey, have you not seen the way he looks at you?" She looked at me, her eyes soft. I shook my head.

"No, no, no..."

"You should hear the way he talks about you. Like you put the stars in the sky." She laughed to herself. "He was never mine, Sabrina. And he knew it too. He could never care for me when his heart only wanted you."