Part 89 - Makeup

You wake up to a harsh banging on your door, followed by a muffled groan from Poppy in the bed next to you.

"Oh my god, what time is it?!" you hear Summer sigh, and you glance at the clock on the wall - it's eight o'clock, which isn't that early, but after getting up at half four the morning before, it's safe to say you could use another hour in bed.

"Guys, there's breakfast downstairs!" you hear Bodhi yell from the other side of the door, and then her footsteps down the stairs. Poppy groans again, burying her face in the pillow.

"C'mon guys," Summer sits up, and you push yourself up to a sitting position, rubbing your eyes. "Day one, let's go." she says as she makes her way to the bathroom.

After you've gotten dressed and washed your face, you and the others head downstairs to where Bodhi and Wren are sitting around the huge garden table by the pool.

The breeze is warm as you step onto the patio, and see that Bodhi and Wren have already dug into the food arranged on the table - it's piled high with cereal, pastries, toast, muffins, and about twenty different types of fruit. Your stomach growls as you take in the spread - Subtropix have spared no expense in making your trip memorable; you don't think you've ever seen this much food for free in your life.

"Morning guys!" Wren says, uncharacteristically cheerful, she motions to the table. "Sit down, get some breakfast - Molly's going to be here soon to brief us."

"Sleep well?" Bodhi asks to no one in particular, and Poppy nods, taking a croissant from a cake stand.

"Yeah, it was alright." she replies.

"Sorry about the early start," Wren says. "But we've only got like, half an hour before we'll have to go to get our hair and makeup done."

You take a pain au chocolat from the cake stand and nibble the edge nervously - you've been enjoying all the perks of Subtropix sponsoring this whole thing, but now that you're getting closer to the actual modelling part of the trip, nerves are starting to creep up on you. You've never done anything like this before.

"Morning girls," Molly's high heels tap on the paved ground as she approaches, wearing a green summer dress with a phone in one hand. "Now, the schedule for today is going to be pretty tight, so I need you all to be focused, okay?"

You nod along with the other girls.

"Okay, so, at 9 I need you to head over to hair and makeup, and then pick out an outfit from the ones we'll provide - Dice is going to meet us on the beach at 12, and we need to be there on time, okay? There's a schedule, and we need to stick to it." She gives us a stern thumbs up and then is preoccupied as she discusses something with another Subropix worker.

"Y'know the concept for the campaign today is 'Boho Paradiso'," Wren says, leaning in. "It's going to look so great when we're on the cover."

"Yeah, and I've collected some editorial looks to go with the mood boards I sent Molly, so I'm hoping she's going to use them when we're shooting the surf shots." Bodhi says hopefully.

"Oh my god, that's the only part of this whole thing I feel like I'm going to be able to do," Poppy groans. "I don't know how to model."

"It's not that hard when you get into it," Wren shrugs. "I'll show you what to do when we have the outfits on."

After breakfast, the group heads to where Subtropix have set up a station for hair and makeup - there are five chairs positioned in front of those fancy makeup mirrors with light bulbs around them, and three technicians rummaging through makeup bags and sorting clothes.