Sixty Seven

⇥ SONG WRITING PROCRASTINATION CLUB + JENNA

[livy💜 conman😎, wifey🥰, tessa]

livy💜
is he okay?

tessa
he has injury to his head 
a bad concussion
and short term memory loss that has continued longer than its supposed to
so we dont know whats going on with that

wifey🥰
are you allowed to see him?

tessa
its not recommended
but im needling

conman😎
tell us what happens okay?
keep us updated

tessa
okay i will

Theresa knew she'd gotten her way when the doctor sighed, a sigh of defeat that made her feel victorious. 

"Fine, the next time he has an episode you can be present. We'll see if your presence calms him. That might actually be why its lasting so long, because he hasn't had closure."

She nodded her head. She didn't know if their theory had any evidence to support it or if they were just saying that at her insistence but she was grateful nonetheless. It meant she could see Charles again, be sure that he was alright.

Tessa waited in tense silence with Arthur, Lorenzo, and Pascale, Charles's mother. She was also surprisingly welcoming to Tessa, and she  wondered what Charles had told them about their break up. Tessa had been at the hospital for four hours already. After Charles's first episode that she heard they put him under anesthetic to calm him. Too much of that could be bad for his brain however, so they had to keep bringing him out of it.

The doctor exited the room and motioned for me to enter. "He's just woken up. He'll be asking for you soon."

Aware of everyone's gaze, Theresa stood up and quietly walked behind the doctor, entering the hospital room. It was very white, was her first thought. Her second was oh my fucking god as she saw Charles, disoriented in a hospital bread, bandaging around his head and cuts and bruises peppering his arms.

"Theresa? Tessie? Is she alright? She crashed and I-"

The doctor gestured for Tessa to step forward and, with a deep breath, she did. 

"Charles, hey, it's me."

Charles eyes darted to Theresa, relief blooming on his face. "Tessa. Are you okay? You were in an accident and-"

Tessa walked forward until she was by his side, grabbing his hand and squeezing it gently. "Hey, hey, I'm here, I'm okay."

Charles reached out to brush his other hand against her cheek, rubbing his thumb against her skin softly. "You're okay?"

Tessa smiled, her heart aching from his touch after so many months apart. She just wished their reunion didn't have to be so bittersweet. "I'm okay love."

Charles turned panicked again. "You're crash, was it-"

"Your crash, darling," Theresa corrected him. "You got into a crash while driving remember?"

Confusion washed across Charles's features. "I got into a crash...?"

Tessa nodded. "But you're okay now, and your family is outside waiting to see you."

Again Charles frowned, glancing at the door. "My family....?"

She nodded again, letting him wrap his head around it. There were quiet murmurs from the doctors behind her but she ignored it. She just brushed Charles's hair back and whispered quietly to him, pressing their foreheads together and trying not to cry.

He was here, in front of her. He was okay.

"So I guess I lost the race then," Charles said.

Tessa let out a wet laugh, pressing a hand to her mouth to muffle it. She wasn't 100% sure if it was a laugh or a sob trying to escape. Instead she just nodded her head.

Charles smiled ruefully at her. "Sorry you went to that race for nothing."

Now it was Tessa's turn to be confused. "What?"

"The media must have hounded you I'm so sorry mon amour," he said tiredly. "I know you expected this as my girlfriend but I'm still sorry."

And that's when it hit her. He still thought they were together. Oh god. What should she do? Should she tell him they weren't together? But that would only cause more stress and the doctors told her she shouldn't stress him out by giving him too much information, only the basics.

He leaned forward to kiss her and she hesitated. He didn't know they were over. This wouldn't be fair to him if she allowed it, right? As Charles moved closer she pecked him on the lips quickly before pulling back. A peck was harmless and it allowed her to avoid breaking Charles's heart.

For the rest of the night she stayed there, by his side. He had another few episodes of forgetting, but the doctors said there were far less than usual and shorter too. That made Theresa smile, because it made her feel like she was doing something.

By the next day Charles hadn't had another relapse in hours, and the doctors had finally cleared the rest of his family to see him. Theresa had stepped out for a second, and then Charles had another episode, which caused the doctors to make the decision that Theresa was to stay by Charles's side for another day or two until he'd gotten past all the confusion.

Theresa was happy to help, she really was, but that meant staying with him while he realised they weren't together, and that felt like too much. She'd barely spent a full day with him but she was already falling back into her old role of his girlfriend, and she hated the thought of leaving that role once he remembered.

Still, it was nice to be with him and, at his insistence, have him hold her again. Arthur bullied them and took pictures while Theresa shared the hospital bed but Charles was enjoying it so much Tessa didn't have the heart to stop it.

And, though she didn't want to admit it, she was enjoying it too.